Clownfish with bubble over eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sboynton

AC Members
Dec 29, 2010
I got a clownfish on Friday and everything has been going really well with him so far.. he's eating, moving around a lot, getting along with the other 2 fish... When I got home from work today I noticed that he has a clear/cloudyish what looks like a bubble on one of his eyes (the bubble is small). He's acting normally though, just ate.. I was planning on doing a 20% water change tomorrow, do you think the problem could be old water? And how do I fix his eye? I don't want to wait too long before I do anything.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

sboynton

AC Members
Dec 29, 2010
The other two fish are a Green Chromis and a Banggai Cardinalfish. They are getting along fine, no aggression. I'm doing a water change today (hadn't done one yet)... Going to see if that helps. What can I do in the short-term to fix/help his eye?

sboynton

AC Members
Dec 29, 2010
Going through their "steps", it gave me #9 - "Commonly, exophthalmia that develops in one fish, in only one eye is a result of physical trauma."

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That's the thing, I don't want to tell you to remove the fish and treat it for a bacterial issue if the eye was physically injured. If you are positive the fish did not have this condition prior to you adding it to the tank, your water quality is good and the clown is otherwise healthy (active and eating well), I might be inclined to leave it be a few days and watch the progress. If the eye gets worse and/or you start to see other signs of disease/parasites, you'll want to setup a QT and medicate the fish (possibly all of them).

sboynton

AC Members
Dec 29, 2010
Okay - yeah I mean when I left for work the fish was fine, when I got home it had the eye problem... I'll monitor it for a few days, do a regular water change like I had planned, and re-evaluate on Thurs or Fri

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store