CO2 into Cannister Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hello All,
I've been struggling with BBA for weeks now and getting quite discouraged. To keep it short, tried everything I could think of except increasing the CO2. Why? I was already at 2 bps and couldn't imagine going any higher. Then I read that BBA can be caused by CO2 fluctuations (something I used to know!), and started to reconsider.
I recalled that in years past, the tank was at it's best when filter outflow and diffuser location were such that the bubble mist was sent on a long ride down and across the bottom of the tank, after which the bubbles would float lazily to the surface, a journey which took some of them 6-7 seconds before surfacing.
My present tank is more heavily planted and it's simply not possible to route the CO2 as effectively. No matter how I positioned the spraybar and diffuser, , plants blocked the flow and prevented effective CO2 distribution. With little to lose, I stuck the CO2 line into the filter intake tube and hoped for the best.
Now I wish I'd done this long ago! Plants are happier and the BBA is now on it's way out. It has also been an interesting learning experience, not only in the importance of CO2 distribution as well as bubble rate, but also the importance of identifying and questioning long held assumptions, which in my particular instance was the assumption that I couldn't possibly have a CO2 problem.
As everyone knows, much is written on the pros and cons of injecting CO2 into a cannister filter. For some it works just fine, while others report noise and burping problems. The most interesting comment I came across was that, despite warnings of such severe problems as overheating motors and/or biological filter collapse, there seemed to be no posts from anyone who had actually experienced either of these. My Cascade filter is quite happy with CO2 injection, so much so that I might not unpack the inline diffuser I've ordered when it arrives.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The biggest issues to watch for,

Some filters may become air/gas locked if the filter stops for some time and CO2 does not, the pump will lose its prime.

Plastics not designed to transport CO2 will become brittle over time and break more easily than designed

Yes, I have had both happen.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Gas locking can happen any water change or if power is lost to the filter,

The hoses and stuff is more like months.

Plants will also use the CO2 mist more than fully dissolved gas.

For BBA, I would be sure there are no dissolved organics, clean your filter, vacuum your substrate... And remember BPS is not a measure of CO2 in the aquarium, just what leaves the regulator.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
If plants use CO2 mist better than fully dissolved, this seems like a reason to go with the inline diffuser. Don't mind seeing the mist, although some have said that their tanks had a "7-Up" appearance. Might just have to try.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally I prefer dissolved, and to just run more.

But I dislike seeing the bubbles too.

I would say it would be a good idea to either use a drop checker to test for 30ppm, or work out from pH and KH readings to give a good example of the lev.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I ran co2 through my filter for a decade. I only ran 1 bpm and let it go 24/7. I used co2 tubing to transport the co2 from the needle valev to the bubble counter and then into the intake of the canister by inserting the co2 tube into the ATI prefilter sponge. This was my plan from the start. because of the risk of vapor lock etc. The only brand of canister I felt safe using was an Eheim.

I did not want to use a pH controller and I was prepared to have an air pump on a time to run over night to outgas some co2 if needed, It turns out it wasn't. The tank was a 50 gal. but was terraced so held closer to 30-35 gals. The system ran great once I got it all figured out.

After about a decade i decided I was spending way to much time on that tank and keeping the plants pruned etc. So I eventually broke down the tank and sold the co2 system.

The canister did not suffer from the co2 in any way as far as I can tell. That was my very first canister and I got it 2002 (maybe early03). it is still running fine today. The only thing I have replaced in all these years has been the head gasket. The canister has always run so silently that he only way I know it is running is either I see the water exiting the spray bar o I have to put my hand on the filter to feel it going.

I saw no visible sign of the co2 coming our of the spraybar neither bubbles nor mist. Ultimately it was p;aced vertically in the back right corner. Here are some pics of that tank just to show that it grew a lot of nice plants.

Before the water went in:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good info dougall, as usual. That's what I remember too when considering co2...I still haven't done it :oops:

I remember that tank's pics TTA, very nice! I wonder if your low co2 bubbles/sec helped keep your Eheim safe? I'm (as often) clueless but I'd like to learn more too...Or maybe that's the superiority of Eheims?

Many of my plant clubbers use a "reactor" to dissolve co2 (often with a heater inside so it doesn't have to be in the tank, more plumbing). It's kind of just a 3 or 4? inch pvc pipe a foot or so long. The idea is to pump co2 in the bottom via skinny tubing & the flow slows to dissolve the co2 in the larger pipe before going into the tank via smaller tubing & diffuser. I've never done it, I was given a "giant" seeming 1 (2ft+?) but chickened out using it...I gave it away...

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Two Tank, that's a great layout. Just beautiful. You are light years ahead of me in aquascaping!
Good to know that it worked out so well for you.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I settled on 60 bpm (1 bps I misquoted the rate in my first post- sorry) as the basic rate, however I adjusted it over time. As the plants grew towards their most massive, I would increase the amount of ferts and co2. When I did a big prune, I reduced the bpm and ferts. The weekly 50% water change stayed constant. I came up with the system I did because was space constrained. The tank was too small for an in-tank diffuser or reactor. I did not have any real space outside the tank either. That and a limit to what i could spend back then sort of dictated how I had to do things.

I chose the Eheim because I did not think other models available could withstand gas constantly being bubbled through the filter, especially for 10+ years.

And I am a fly by the seat if my pants aquascaper. The terraces were planned the rest kind of happened. I am also the least sophisticated. People like dougall are light years ahead of me on most of the technology including plants and shrimp. When I did that tank I bought the co2 cylinder and regulator from a beer supply company and most fish keepers did fake plants. I did until I learned I could have more fish in a tank if I had live plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store