CO2/pH controller

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
I’m going to be converting my 55 gallon to a planter aquarium soon. I was hoping to start with beginner plants, like java moss, java ferns, and Amazon swords to help with things, since this is my first time with plants. Most of what I’ve read said that the plants I’m considering don’t really need CO2 injection, but they would do slightly better with it. Rate of growth is not a concern for me... just the final product. Anyway, I read an article a couple days ago where the person had used a pH controller hooked up to a CO2 system and an aerator. This helped more naturally control the pH and helped with the plants. I know this would be quite expensive though. Any thoughts on this kind of setup?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, Java moss and Java fern does not need CO2. They do not grow fast enough, but you are correct that it may help. From my experience, Sword plants are not really that easy to grow. From my experience, they do like brighter lights, need root food, and do not like their roots to be crowded. And they can grow big.

PS--I use CO2, but I have bright lights.

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
I'm using the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 lights running on 24/7 mode. My tap water is pretty alkaline with a pH of about 8. My ideal range for my fish would be 7-7.5. That said, my fish have always seemed to be doing fine without adjusting my tap.

In addition to the above, I was thinking of adding in some Vallisneria as well.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think that all plants will gain, but some more than others, from supplemental CO2;

But,if you ate going to use it, it can cause more harm than good if it is inconsistent or runs out and is not refilled for some time.

You likely do not need it now, but it will not hurt, And can open you to other potential species as well.

I'm not aware of anyone using a pH controller for both a solenoid and an airstone.. I don't think that the pH swing caused by the respiring of the plants will be big enough that it would warrant the gassing off using the airstone.

If you are just trying to get into it, Drs Foster and s.ith had a couple of models on clearance for 30 and 40 dollars, with free shipping.
No clue if it is still snowing option but that would get you on the way cheaply, I think you would just need a tank which are cheap on Craigslist or marketplace or whatever. Some tubing, bubble counter and a reactor or something. And a timer or 2 to handle your lights and co2.

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks for the input. I run my lights on 24/7 mode as it gives a nice visual appeal as it changes colors depending on the time of day. However, I have a smart plug that could easily shut off the solenoid at night. I was looking at the controller instead of a timer since it would possibly be more efficient and turn on even less since it would only release CO2 when the pH was off a little bit. I mentioned the airstone option because I'm currently running a couple 24/7 for a visual benefit, and if I used a dual controller, I wouldn't be running the O2 unless the CO2 was off. I'm kind of a gadget person, so the idea of having an automated system to control the CO2 and O2 to keep my pH stable was appealing. It sounds like I'm trying to get too high tech for my low tech build at the moment though. Perhaps I should just avoid CO2 for now unless I notice my plants not doing well.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say your plants will be fine.

If you use a controller, I wouldn't worry about an airstone. It doesn't immediately add oxygen, but will basically cause surface disturbance, which will raise or lower gases to match what is in the atmosphere, so some of the CO2 that was dissolved would leave, lowering the carbonic acid in your water, and then the pH would rise. There really is little need for an airstone, the number of people who have used them over the years without would corroborate that.

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
Right. I use the air stone for the aesthetic. It looks interesting, has a soothing bubbling sound, and my fish like to swim through the bubbles. I just didn’t want to have it blowing off all the CO2 I had put in, so I thought about hooking it to the controller as well. I’ve also heard they can be useful at night in a planted aquarium.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
if it is aesthetic, the only time you would see it would be sometimes when the tank was in the dark, or when there's a problem with CO2.

They are useful, to en extent, in a planted aquarium, if there's a problem with CO2 at night, or you have no solenoid on the CO2 supply side of things. not exactly what I would call aesthetic... I'd suggest picking one or the other. It's sounding more and more like there's little use for you to inject CO2.

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
I think one of the reasons I had also done the airstone was that my eventual goal is to run a canister filter instead of my current HOB one. I have a Tetra Whisper 60 right now and was going to upgrade to either a Fluval 406 or the 407 when it comes out this Spring. I was worried that without the surface disturbance of the HOB filter, I'd need some O2. So for now it's aesthetic, but it would serve a purpose later on. That said, if I have plants, that should serve that purpose as well, so it might continue to be superfluous. I've always had fake plants in my 10 and 20 gallon aquariums, so upgrading to a 55 gallon with plants has kinda allowed me to go into some interesting topics. I'm trying to reign it in a little bit so I don't change too much too quickly, but I thought I'd ask so I could make a more educated decision first. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but making my aquarium a hobby has been a much needed distraction from some of the other more stressful issues going on in our lives.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
We have maybe 10 aquariums running, I think 2 have something air powered, 1 is an axolotl aquarium, 1 shrimp. Axolotls are getting more air, shrimp is using a sponge filter,

The rest of the aquariums have no airstones, no hang on back filters, the reef has a sump which will cause surface disturbance, the rest all use canister filters and are planted. Not heavily stocked, no riverine species from fast flowing waters, only 2 have only labyrinth fish, not heavily stocked... use that info how you will.

But it's a great hobby, really doesn't have to be too expensive if you know where to look. I would take it slowly, start with simple plants, and go from there, stuff that grows with less light will grow more slowly than with higher light as a general rule. As that goes on, you may realise what a pain trimming aquariums can be, or you may like the calm of setting time aside each week in which case you may want to go with something more intensive needing more light, or CO2 to be supplemented. Or you may choose to go a completely different route.

But just enjoy it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store