co2 questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
I just ordered a 20oz paintball co2 canister and the aquatek regulator mini. I want to put it in my sig tank, the 28gal. What would be a good bps? I want it to remain low tech. I pretty much just want to eliminate the use of liquid co2.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
CO2 injection, that's a high tech tank in my book.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Adding compressed gas qualifies as high tech, though it is easy to do. I need some details on your set up to be of help. I will check your sig...

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Ok... looks like you skipped the misting stage (3+ weeks prior to filling) and went right to filling. No worries, this should still work out.
Your components (soil, laterite, eco complete, sat+ led and now compressed co2) make for a nice high tech tank. Though the sat+ is a great light (I have one on my 40b planted tank) it is best in tanks 16" high or shorter. You may find the need to add more lighting in the near future.
As for your specific question, short of using a drop checker, I would aim for 2-3bps and evaluate growth after a few weeks. Please update your thread when everything is up and running. I am interested in knowing how your regulator works out.

truenoob

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
NC, USA
Misting stage? I will absolutely update my thread. As far as the lighting, do you think adding another of the same light would be fine? Mt tank is 18" in height. I plan on keeping easy plants in my setup, nothing crazy. Im not sure what the misting stage is, I followed instructions from a few different members. I hope I didn't mess anything up.All my plants but the bixya seem to be doing great right now. I have quite a few more plants on order. No one will ship until after the holidays thought due to the fact that we are dealing with live plants. 2-3 bps sounds good to me. I simply just want pressurized co2 vs liquid carbon. again nothing crazy because I cannot afford to maintain the tank on a daily basis. Just weekly.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Many people with planted tanks will only add enough water to soak the substrate. After planting their plants (usually foreground at this point), the top of the tank will be covered in plastic wrap. Co2 may or may not be added. Lighting is added at this stage. Plants are misted.
Again, this is not necessary but some find it helpful when establishing some more demanding foreground plants.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Also remember that none of this is an exact science. We are all offering suggestions based on our experiences or accounts that we've read. You are off to a great start.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
I agree with fish fan man. CO2 is high tech noob. I really don't think you need it for the plants you plan to keep in a dirted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store