CO2 recommendation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YorkPADave

AC Members
Sep 24, 2018
York, Pa
Hi... I have a planted 46g tank and I am itching to try my hand at CO2. Can anyone recommend a good all-inclusive CO2 regulator (one that includes most parts needed for startup) for a beginner?
I do not want to go crazy, however, I am willing to spend a bit to get quality and dependability. Thanks in advance for your opinions

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What's your budget? I would avoid a paintball tank for that size aquarium.

For lower end, I would avoid stuff from Amazon, maybe the dual stage from CO2Art, which runs around $130 from Brooklyn Aquatics, Then find a used CO2 tank on craigslist, say 10Lb or so, depending what size you can fit... try to get a spare too if you like. Don't worry about new unless you know a place you want to use that will fill tanks while you wait. Then look for a time (digital, WiFi or analogue) to hook the solenoid to.

If your name truly means you are in York PA, look into joining the Cichlid Club of York and/or the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County (Both on facebook) or if really into plants, I think it's 1.5-2 hours drive to go to GWAPA meetings each month (I pass through york when I go, and I'm 2 hours before I get to York too)

if you have questions, then yell, if you really want to keep the price down, there is/was a regulator on clearance at LiveAquaria from when Drs foster and Smith closed down, for maybe 30 or 40 dollars.. there were 2 options, and at least one had a solenoid.

hope that helps.

YorkPADave

AC Members
Sep 24, 2018
York, Pa
What's your budget? I would avoid a paintball tank for that size aquarium.

For lower end, I would avoid stuff from Amazon, maybe the dual stage from CO2Art, which runs around $130 from Brooklyn Aquatics, Then find a used CO2 tank on craigslist, say 10Lb or so, depending what size you can fit... try to get a spare too if you like. Don't worry about new unless you know a place you want to use that will fill tanks while you wait. Then look for a time (digital, WiFi or analogue) to hook the solenoid to.

If your name truly means you are in York PA, look into joining the Cichlid Club of York and/or the Aquarium Club of Lancaster County (Both on facebook) or if really into plants, I think it's 1.5-2 hours drive to go to GWAPA meetings each month (I pass through york when I go, and I'm 2 hours before I get to York too)

if you have questions, then yell, if you really want to keep the price down, there is/was a regulator on clearance at LiveAquaria from when Drs foster and Smith closed down, for maybe 30 or 40 dollars.. there were 2 options, and at least one had a solenoid.

hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, dougall. I'm going to go with the CO2Art setup. I briefly checked into CO2 tanks, and so far it seems they have to be shipped (with about 40% more cost for the shipping). Do you know of any national or regional retailers that sell empty tanks?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
before buying, check where you will have it refilled, most exchange rather than fill your tank, so buying a shiny new tank when it will just get swapped when you want gas seems a little of a waste.

check on craigslist for a tank, they are often sold cheap as colleges close for summer, just be sure to make sure its test has not expired.

otherwise check brewing places, I seem to recall a place or 2 in York that sell them.

YorkPADave

AC Members
Sep 24, 2018
York, Pa
before buying, check where you will have it refilled, most exchange rather than fill your tank, so buying a shiny new tank when it will just get swapped when you want gas seems a little of a waste.

check on craigslist for a tank, they are often sold cheap as colleges close for summer, just be sure to make sure its test has not expired.

otherwise check brewing places, I seem to recall a place or 2 in York that sell them.
Thanks again..... I will check into this

Apr 2, 2002
New York
There is a good reason to avoid buying a tank. They need to be inspected. When you get a new one is has been and there is a date stamped on the tank. The places that refill the bottles do not do the inspecting, they send them out and it takes a few weeks. I learned this the hard way.

A 5 lb. bottle should be fine, it is what I used on my 50 for 10+ years. Back then the cheapest solution for a regulator was a beer supply company.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Homebrew places and welding supply places are good spots to inquire about CO2 tanks. Most will sell and swap.

YorkPADave

AC Members
Sep 24, 2018
York, Pa
Thanks, everyone. Is CO2 tank testing required by law? I spoke to a local Homebrew distributor and mentioned this ( he sells only 5lb bottles and also refills) and he knew nothing about it

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Thanks, everyone. Is CO2 tank testing required by law? I spoke to a local Homebrew distributor and mentioned this ( he sells only 5lb bottles and also refills) and he knew nothing about it
If he doesn't know anything about it, its probably because he's collecting bottles and bringing them to a welding supply store and exchanging them. That's what my local homebrew place does...I just go directly to the welding gas place and save a buck or two on the homebrew shop's markup...the welding supply place is closer to home anyway.

The bottle certifications are regulated by law, the bottles have to be recertified periodically for safety.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store