Co2 regulator question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
That's just a small piece of what you need. You can't use that alone. Search for "regulator" on the forum or classifieds and you can see the whole setup.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Not according to the ebay post, they have that thing hooked right up to a CO2 bottle. That is scary.

Regulators looks like a larger peice of metal with big gauges hooked up to it. It takes the PSI in the tank and regulates it down to safe levels, then you can take your needle valve and fine tune it to a exact PSI. What this person is selling is really just a needle valve that they slapped right onto the bottle so turning that little valve your supposed to fine tune hundreds of PSI with each little click. Won't really work safely for you or the fish.

Master3z

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
i want to know if anyone here used this before, i am really low on budget i wont be able to buy a an expensive regulator..
Whats the cheapest regulator i can buy?

pglenn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
I wouldnt trust buying CO2 equipt from China. usually the threading is different and wont fit US paintball. what the description USUALLY means is that the part will fit certain disposible bottles

if your really strapped for cash, have a look at this. really just a glorified ASA also but many ppl do use it. I have used one myself. or else keep looking on ebay for a good deal on a "real" regulator
http://www.aquariumguys.com/1-paintball-co2-controller.html

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
i want to know if anyone here used this before, i am really low on budget i wont be able to buy a an expensive regulator..
Whats the cheapest regulator i can buy?
First things would be is how big is your fish tank? Several of the paint ball set ups wont last long on anything bigger then 40 gallons. My 5lb set up last me 3 months. My 10lb 6 months and the 20lb unit I can get a year out of it. That would be on a 46 gallon tank. Also the amount of Co2 your going to need will depend on plant load and lighting. Also one thing to remember with Paint ball set ups and the reason why I wont use them is the pressure they are at is crazy. To get a solenoid so you can turn it off and on runs alot of money. More then $150 because they have to be high pressure solenoids. As Bradlgt21 mentioned A regulator takes the gas. Co2 thats in the tank around 800 to 1000PSI and reduces it to a workable pressure. The Paint ball set ups DO NOT do this. They are basically a high pressure valve and use the high pressure. TO me this is Dangerous and ive known some people that have had these burst/explode.

Your best bet if your on a budget is to look at either the Milwaukee or the aquatek regulators. They are decent entry level units.

One thing to remember with Co2 is that it is something you want to do right. If you skimp and you cheap out you can risk several things.
Even with a decent budget system Plant on spending $200 to $250. Reason?

Regulator Milwaukee or Aquatek $80 to $100. +shipping
5lb tank $50 to $60 and thats an Empty tank. + shipping
Misc pieces like Drop Checker, Diffuser or reactor, Tubing, Check valves, Etc figure another $40 to $100 depending on what you get.

Now your ready to use Co2. You can also get with some specific people that can make you a custom regulator and get you all the parts
you need OR they can help you locate the parts or sell them to you and you can self build your own regulator.
I build all my own. I now have 4 set ups some of them run more then one tank.

Co2 isnt a cheap investment.

Do you have specific plants or High light or anything like that? How about Ferts what are you dosing and what dose method? I ask because the addition of Co2 effects all of this.
Not trying to steer you away from Co2 Just make sure you do your home work and know what your getting into.

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
it's true, co2 isn't cheap, I think I am probably at the 300 dollar mark or close to it. You definitely need to do some researching to find out what kind of tank you want, it's obvious with pressurized your going to probably go the higher light route? Even with lower light setups, the co2 will help your plants a ton. I didn't want to take any chances on parts and bought new. I just couldn't trust other peoples equipment from ebay, I wanted to make sure there weren't any issues and it always seems like there is some issue with things I buy from people on ebay. For instance, I bought a co2 tank from ebay and I also bought an Eheim co2 regulator.....well, the tank came and then the regulator, I got all excited and went to put it together and the regulator wouldn't go on the tank....come to find out, the tank had American standard threads and the Eheim regulator I bought had European threads (metric). So, tried to sell the regulator and nobody would buy it. I went to a store and tried to find some kind of adaptor, but it was like 75 bucks.....I just decided to buy a new regulator that would fit. I didn't want to "Mickey Mouse" my setup and have more areas to have co2 possibly leak. What I am getting at is sometimes, it's just better and worth the money to buy the right stuff from the beginning. New.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
are you sure you even need it? Most people think that they need co2. But unless you get a consistant CO2 flow and you have high lighting they aren't going to make a huge difference. I did a DIY co2 system and the levels changed so much that I ended up giving myself BBA algae which can be linked to fluxuating CO2 levels. I pulled the plug on it and it's better without. If you don't have high lighting then just keep your tank low tech.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
You can use co2 and low light together. It will be beneficial. But you have to have everything in place. This goes for any co2 driven system. If not you can expect issues. How much light you have will drive how much co2 you will use. As well as what the plant load is and how balanced your nutrients/ferts are. To little co2 with more then enough nutrients will more then likely yeild hair and BBA algae issues. Enough or to much co2 and no to to little nutrients will yeild plant deficiency issues. To much co2 can kill livestock. Same things can be said for light. To much you get algae to little no growth. Everything needs balance. Most people get into issues once they jump into co2 or when the get higher light. Be sure that when you do this you plan accordingly. Don't skimp on co2 set up. Doing so is setting yourself up for issues. Again co2 can be done with any light level and be very beneficial to even low light tanks. but its not a needed thing for low light.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
UP is a taiwan company, and that is about the crappiest regulator you can get. Its not even a real regulator. It has no pressure gauges. It does not reduce the pressure coming out of the C02 tank. It is an accident waiting to happen.

You need a regulator, needle valve, bubble counter, check valve and then a device to dispense the gas inside the aquarium. Milwaukee, Azoo, or Red Sea are good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store