Co2 with a sump tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I have a 90g planted tank and a 29g sump holding about 20g of water. I really would like to set up a co2 system but keep reading conflicting info. Anybody using one with a sump or tried it with poor results? Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
i depends how the sump is set up.

I did it on my 75 w/sump..I could seal the bio housing ..return was open..but it was able to hold the CO2 fairly well..

I turned the tank into a lower light low maint tank

amyjod2

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
Hi,

I have a 125 gal tank with 20+ gal sump. My sump is open and gets a lot of water movement. For my set up it would be a losing battle to use CO2. I have heavily planted community tank. I have been successful with 4 dual daylight compacts and Flourish Excel. My tank has 2 nice Madagascar Lace plants that are doing great. Really think the issue is how much water movement and sump aeration there is. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Most of what your getting as conflicted info is from people that dont have a clue, dont know, dont have a sump or have never run Co2 or a Sump together. Ive done it just fine Unsealed. Its no different then a wet dry really. Tom Barr Runs them with Co2 as well no issues.

Remember the bio-filtration and your living creatures in the tank all need O2, With the Sump set up your going to provide them wonderful O2, Yes you will have some off gas exchange BUT not enough to make a big deal difference. All you will have to do is compensate a VERY SMALL amount for what your off gassing. Its no biggie and remember Co2 is cheap.. I get my 5 and 10lb tanks filled for $8.60. My 20Lb stuff is about double that. You will get about 3 months out of a 5lb, 6 out of a 10 and about a year on a 20lb.

Really its not a big deal. I would highly recommend doing a reactor on the return line from the sump. I like the Cerges reactor. It will make it so you get 100% dissolved Co2 into the water. Easy to use. Works well.

Anyone though that says you cant run a sump with Co2 is in left field..

Mhplease

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
I have a wet/dry sump on my 150 with pressurized c02 and get great growth. I use a ph controller and I position the diffuser next to the return pump inlet and it gets it into the water nicely

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store