Cold to Warm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
Are there any coldwater inhabitants that can flourish in warm water? I'm in Seattle, and I just got back from the Puget Sound....there are some beautiful anemone's, and starfish, and hermit crabs, and snails, and slugs, and shrimp during low-tide.

Is it possible? Anyone ever tried hermits? Snails? Anemone's?

I also saw the same looking copepods found in warm water...in cold water. They looked exactly the same, same size, shape, movement, everything.

Last edited:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Well first of all, Seattle doesn't get so unbearably hot (not for long) that you'd have a pond with water over 80 degrees for any length of time...unlike Michigan. :rolleyes:

If you take the basic Goldfish, for example they can live in pond water at or around 80-82 degrees in the summer for weeks. It happens in much of the midwest, south, and east and west coasts...we just deal with the heat and so do our fish.

However, I wouldn't use the word "flourish" very loosely. For another example, if my Goldfish had to stay in 85 degree water year round I dont think they would flourish, if even 'get by'.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
If you live close enough so that you can constantly replenish your supply, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise you'd have to invest in a chiller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store