cold water biofilter in native tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
So I decided to keep natives in my 55 gal.
I just filled it with fresh delicious well water (no leaks so far..)
And I put the extra spnge that I had on my guppy tank into the HOB filter. You know, to seed the tank with "cycling" bacteria.
Then I realized, this water is Cold. very chilly, Maybe 50F.or under, and I wonderred if I just killed all my bacteria. (guppy tank is @ around 70F)
Do you think I did?
Even with the fish in there I hope to keep the temp down as low as I can. I'm getting fish from the warmer parts of a spring fed creek. (The air is Very hot around here, in the 90s so the fish that hang around in the shallower pools should be accustomed to slightly warmer water. I'll measure it b4 I bring them home, I am hoping it is up around 65 because I can maintain that temp in here w/o having well water running through constantly. That would be nice, but I can't afford to run the pump like that.)
ANYWAY, what is the story with nitrogen cycle bacteria in colder water? Do they colonize,just more slowly? are there different bacteria than in tropical tanks?
I'll have lots of plants in there, but I want to know if there will also be biofiltration going on in the HOB filter. Thank you
PS I am in Crawford Co Missouri, if anyone knows aboput the native fish around here I'd love to hear from them too.

Last edited:

Yankee Dog

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
Somerville, AL
You pretty much run a native tank just as you would a tropical tank except you dont have to worry about the temperture of the water. Just about any fish you pull out of your local water will be able to handle some pretty extreme temperture swings. Just not all at once.

I found the sunfish to be the most hardy. You can about just pull them off the hook (no netting of game fish in Alabama) and throw them in the tank. Top minnows are also pretty hardy. Chubs, shiners, and minnows were the most delicate.

About the most important thing you can do is slowly aclimatize them to the tank water. Carefully get them used to both the new temperture AND the new water. Float the fish bag for about an hour, letting a little tank water into the bag water as the time goes by.

Pettersons puts out a good book on Fishes of North America. Head on down to you local book store and pick one up.

Yankee Dog

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I found the sunfish to be the most hardy. You can about just pull them off the hook (no netting of game fish in Alabama) and throw them in the tank. Top minnows are also pretty hardy. Chubs, shiners, and minnows were the most delicate.
Lol, what do you do when you need to get them out of your tank since you can't net game fish in Alabama?

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
chubs are very hardy if you mean chubsuckers. well at least here they are and i agree with the sunfish being hardy and dont forget about bullheads and i think channels are native in your area. bass i never had

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store