Columbian Sharks - Need Personal Experiences

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockbellab

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
Turtle Lake, ND
Before you read this I want to let everyone know that I have read the brackish water articles/faqs and around 20 or more profiles on Columbian Sharks. I need a little more personal experience now.

Hello everyone. I have been searching the net for quite some time trying to wade through all of the opinions, suggestions and alleged facts about Columbian Sharks. I am one of those people who research things to death before I make up my mind. This would be one of those times that I did not do that. I saw the fish and fell in love. Now I need some real information from someone who has successfully kept these fish for a length of time. By the way I am not new to fishkeeping, just keeping these fish, so please play nice.
I purchased three Columbian Sharks (two inches each) and they are in a 75 gallon. After a lot of research I've learned they are brackish water fish and I've done a lot of reading on that. I purchased marine salt but have not yet purchased a hydrometer or a refractometer. That's just one of my questions. So, without further ado, here are some of my questions.

1)Is a hydrometer or a refractometer better? Which one is easiest to use and understand? I want the best, easiest one. I know there is a big cost difference but that is not what is most important to me. I really need something that is easy and accurate.
Not being a scientist at all I'm a bit concerned about getting the salt content where it is supposed to be.

2)What size tank will I need in the long run for the three of them?

3)What should I feed them to keep them on a varied diet?

4)What other important information can you give me about them? Anything and everything you tell me will help me be a better mom.

I'm sorry for writing so much but my husband said I had to find
someone who was knowledgeable and stop trying to muddle my way through all of the information on the net.
I appreciate all the help and guidance you can give me.
Thanks, Bridget

Shorgasm III

Bichir Keeper
Jun 20, 2005
rockbellab said:
1)Is a hydrometer or a refractometer better? Which one is easiest to use and understand? I want the best, easiest one. I know there is a big cost difference but that is not what is most important to me. I really need something that is easy and accurate.
Not being a scientist at all I'm a bit concerned about getting the salt content where it is supposed to be.

2)What size tank will I need in the long run for the three of them?

3)What should I feed them to keep them on a varied diet?

4)What other important information can you give me about them? Anything and everything you tell me will help me be a better mom.
1) i have a Seatest Hydro... works for me and is acurate as far as i can tell

2) 150 gallons minimum i had 3 in a 150 for a year. they were only about 6-7" before they died (malfunctioning heater)

3) i fed sinking pellets, and tropical crisps. those were the only things they would eat

4)make sure your decorations are in the middle of the tank... ie: leave swimming room around the perimiter. if you do this, your fish will be active. i had some caves set up, but they never used them. with all the swimming room, they swam constantely all day and night.
make sure you install some powerheads and be creative with the placement to get some good currents... mine LOVED the currents!

with that said, they are awesome fish. i was really sad the day i woke up and saw them floating. now my new rule is 2 heaters in the tanks (all my tanks now) 1/2 the recomended watts. this way, if one overheats like mine did, it wont have enough power to heat the water. the water was at 101 by the time i woke up.
soon, i will restock the tank with 2 or 3 again. if you keep it a species tank, the 150 should be plenty big. if you add other fish, maybe 2 in the 150, and one in the 75 (ive kept them alone, they are fine with it)
also, you may hear they will eat other, smaller fish. when i first got into them, i too was mislead and had them in FW... with neon tetras and danios no less... never ate any of them, but thats just my fish.
Good Luck with them!

rockbellab

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
Turtle Lake, ND
Thanks for the information. I am very sorry about your sharks. I know that must have been a terrible shock.
Bridget

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
I had a 9" in my tank untill he jumped out. i was sad but somewhat relieved in that the **** fish ate so much! he could easily go through 100 guppies, 5 mollies and a couple dozen ghost shrimp in a week. also mine ate frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. i had to double what i was feeding all the other fish in my tank to accomodate charles (RIP)

when they reach maturity the doo need to be in a full marine enviroment (if you want them to live and grow to their full potential)

SG wise i started mine @ about 1.008-1.010, gradually raising it over time.

id start there with yours, and being that they're 2", id suggest slowly raising the SG to a full marine inviroment over the next 18 months or so.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
shoregasm, that heater idea is pretty frekin keen bra, good work

iamgodhahahah

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
Do not get a Freshwater Snowflake with these (at that size), from personal experience; it couldn't fit in his mouth so he pulled him into his cave and killed it (3 inches).

I hope that helps a little =)

rockbellab

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
Turtle Lake, ND
Thanks to everyone. After much research I've got a better grasp on what I need to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store