Common beginner mistakes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
hey heres an idea, seeing as this is for newbies, how about saying what those bunch of letters are, i know when i first starting posting i didn't know what ''lfs'' stood for, so any of those types of things i guess should also be post so they least know what we dudes are on about.

Lfs= local fish store

this by the way, for the second time, is a super idea!

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
sand substrate

eeerrrrrkkkkkkk:mad:

ive had my sand substrate running 2\3 weeks, and i was doing a bit of planting work, and already have anaerobic spots!!!!!

(the smell is terrible ...)

ive had to massively vac at least 2\3rd of the sand out of the tank....

all the time i was cleaning with water change and thought it was adequate!!

so:
i would make the substrate as thin as possible(not easy if you are wanting to plant)

follow the advice on here on malaysian trumpet snails - they sound a godsend!!!

:(

nato435

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Fresno, CA
Still a bit of a beginner, but my experience from the beginning, had several learning curves:
1) Next time I'll fishless cycle. Fishy cycling takes quite a while, stresses the fish, and stresses you (due to loss of fish and thinking you must be doing something wrong since the nitrogen cycle takes quite a while to pass)

2) Patience: watch your fish behaviors, I began medicating for fin rot several days after buying a couple of angels... after the second day I noticed bits missing from on of its tail fins. A day after starting meds I noticed that one was nipping at the others tail. I stopped meds and removed the aggressive angel. No more tail fin problems w/ the other angel. Take time to closely watch them.. it can save you time, money, and unecessary meds.

HTH .. as noted above meaning if this shorthand "Hope this Helps"
and good luck on this exciting hobby

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Awesome! Just Awesome!!!

Great Thread! As a newbie, I spent a lot of time reading books, magazines, visiting lfs, and talking to others who had established tanks. I then setup my tank, waited several days to add the fish ( I know now to do a fishless cycle). let the tank cycle (6 weeks)Constantly run tests, and slowly brought up of new of fish in the tank.
My mistakes.
1. Contine to add fish to the tank after reaching the limit. I was using the 1 inch/Gallon rule and then I would see a fish that I just had to purchase.

2. Regular weekly water changes. I was doing regular bi-weekly changes, but it wasn't enough, because I lost two fish.

I hope this helps out someone.

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
Know your fish! and what fish are campatable. When you get your tank, before filling it up! Figure out what you want, and
what is compatible. I love the look of Rams and decided to get some , but read up 1st. (thanks to this forum) I know there sensative to water quality so I've been testing my water every week. I have added one ram and he is doing great so I think I'm ready to add a couple more. So go slowly and know your fish.

cedykeman1

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2002
colorado
Visit site
new fish in tank

I just have a quick question, but first let me state that I have had aquariums for years until the last 5 years. Now I am starting back into the hobby and I have forgotten a lot of stuff.

I just came from the store with some new fish. I let the fishbag float in the tank for 15 minutes then put the fish in. Anyway some of the fish are just sitting on the bottom looking anything but lively. Some swim around and one hangs out at the surface. There is a total of six fish in a twenty gallon. I've got "fish worry madness" and it's driving me nuts. My question really is are the fish just needing some time to get used to the tank? or does this sound like death comes a knockin thing?

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
cedy..
The fish that I bring home, either set on the tank floor or swim as fast as they can around the tank. The fish just need time to adjust to the new tank. Some will adjust quickly, while others will take hours or maybe days. Hope it helps.

cedykeman1

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2002
colorado
Visit site
newbie thing

well I bought some "gromies" I forget how to spell them, anyway all my smaller fish died and one of my gromies did too. I called the lfs and they said I probably have a chlorine problem. I will go to the store in the morning (it's 1:15 in the morning here) and get the proper stuff. I am not sure I can stay up this late anylonger to try to keep the fish moving. I am just worried sick that when I wake up tomorrow the last fish will be dead. I'll bring in a sample of my tank water too, I am sure the owner of the store will test my water. thanks all:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store