Common goldfish acting out of character

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Saffie

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi, I am new to this forum and would be grateful for any help..

I inherited three goldfish and all was going well until last week after I did a routine water change. After the water change (and pump clean), the common goldfish (aka Little Fish) sat at the bottom of the tank. He/she (I am not sure on gender) wouldn't move unless for feeding. I was immediately concerned and tested the water - all seemed to be well. The next day, he was still lethargic but would swim to the top of the tank, take some air and then blow bubbles on his way back down . I read that this might be caused by swim bladder problems and feeding peas may help. After three days of a diet of peas, he seemed better (swimming around the tank). However, each day I was also carrying out water checks - and found the ammonia was high (0.5). So I was also doing a daily 25% water change and gravel clean. Little Fish was back to normal last night, but the ammonia was again high. I thought that the ammonia spikes might be down to the pump (it is old) so I changed the pump today. Little Fish seemed fine earlier, but he is now sat at the bottom of the tank with his head pointed up.

His gills appear ok and there doesn't appear to be any change in his appearance. The other two goldfish have been fine.

I have run out of ideas as to what could be wrong.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to the forum!!

What were your water test results?

When you changed the 'pump' did you mean the filter? What brand and size if you know?

Are you using tap water for water changes? If so, are you using the correct water conditioner to treat for either chlorine or chloramine that may be present?

How long has this tank been set up, what size is the tank and how large are your goldfish?

Saffie

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi

Thank you for replying. In answer to your questions:

- Ph was about 7.6. Nitrates, nitrites all zero. Ammonia between 0.25 and 0.5 (usually 0 to 0.25).

- I changed the pump (drastic but I was getting as distressed as the fish). I now have a furval u2.

- I use API goldfish protect water conditioner.

- The tank is 55l has been established since 2018. The fish are small.. all three are less then 10cm. Little fish is the largest.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Thanks for the answering my questions!!

It is odd that your nitrate reading is zero but that may be due to the daily 25% water changes.

You are probably seeing ammonia for a couple reasons. It is possible that when you cleaned the old filter you removed enough beneficial bacteria that caused the ammonia to increase. Now you have installed a new filter that is perfectly clean so you may continue to see more ammonia. If the old filter still works and hasn't dried out, I advise you to put it back in the tank and run it to help.

Continue to do 25% water changes daily (don't forget to add the API goldfish protect water conditioner) to keep the ammonia level as low as possible.

Just for my reference, your 55l tank is approx. 15 gallons and your 3 goldfish are less than 10cm or approx 4 inches long.

I'm not sure why 'Little Fish' is acting the way it is. I'm glad the peas helped a bit but you will need to continue to check the tank parameters (water tests) daily to keep the ammonia and nitrate as close to zero as possible by doing the water changes.

What are you feeding the goldfish and about how much are you feeding them? It is possible that 'Little Fish' ate way too much at one time and is having difficulty swimming right.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Am sorry Saffie, but your tank is too small for 3 common goldfish. Unfortunately they get too big and in small tank they certainly will get stunted. 3 commons may need a 200-250+ gallon tank or a very large pond. Did you cycle the tank at all? If yes, how?
Sound like the fish has eaten way too much and swim weird. This is a common issue in my tank with me white clouds, they just eat too much.
Try feeding your goldfish variety of goods like frozen foods from bloodworms (bloodworms only once a week) to daphnia, and not just commercial food. Offer some blanched veggies too. But I would be looking into rehoming them to someone who has actually a pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store