Common Pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
=/ i hope you're not really only five feet. like i said, could've been a little less, somewhere between 4 and 5. when i go back this fall, i'll try to find someone in the know how to ask about their sizes. maybe they just grew since you were there or maybe you just didn't see them. there's a lot of room to miss fish.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
=/ i hope you're not really only five feet. like i said, could've been a little less, somewhere between 4 and 5. when i go back this fall, i'll try to find someone in the know how to ask about their sizes. maybe they just grew since you were there or maybe you just didn't see them. there's a lot of room to miss fish.
Like I said, AT THE TIME I don't remember there being a pleco that large. I was probably 10-11 years old at the time.

Wingate2581

AC Members
Feb 11, 2009
:confused: :confused:

A lot of Pterygoplichthys sp. including pardalis and gibbiceps are considered common. Alas, I hate common names as they offer little validity to the actual identification of a particular species.;)
Agreed

true commons can get up to 5 feet.
Wow. just.......wow.

Where did you get this information? Where is an image of the five foot pleco and which pleco do you consider "true common"? On record, Acanthicus adonis is the largest at 39".
agreed, again

No they dont.. 48'' at the max.
Really, where are you people getting this info from?lol

I would say pterygoplichthys sp. for sure, and I am going to guess that it would be pterygoplichthys pardalis. Careful, they get 16 feet long and eat feeder puppies.LOL

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
planetcatfish doesn't know everything. =/
i don't appreciate people calling me a liar.
even if it wasn't quite five feet, i know it was close.

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Not saying you are a liar, but judging length just by eyesight is not very accurate. For all I know you may be correct but I'm going to stick with the info given from a very reputable website. I guess that's just how my mind works.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
alright. i'll accept that.. =/
i will find out though. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store