commons with fancies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:thumbsup: i have my orders lol! she isnt allowed the blue oranda, the red cap, jaffa my little fave orange and white oranda, my choco moor or oddball coz i doubt il ever find another like him ;) no doubt i wont give her much choice, im not letting her have any of the big guys. she said she doesnt mind which ones she has and she takes such good care of them too. she isnt taking any for another week or so anyway so the 2 she has can settle a bit more.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
my common, comets and shubs have never pushed around my fancy's...

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Fancies and commons generally get along fine. The problems come (as Lupin mentioned) during spawning, feeding and panic.

Any spawning, even if it's not between fancies and singletails, will cause the whole tank to get excited. Males of any type will chase the spawning female. If your fancies are among the male suitors chasing, they can get banged up and bounced around by the more powerful singletail males. If the female being chased is a fancy, they could kill her or seriously injure her. Adding soft live or silk plants to the tank will help to keep the fish safe, giving them something soft to spawn in. Add plants as soon as you see any chasing so the fish can quickly spawn and won't wear each other out.

Feeding is less of a problem, especially if you feed a sinking pellet. I feed different types of food - fresh veggies, pellets, live food, gel - to ensure that even if fancies are slower getting to the pellets, they can graze more on the veggies or get more live food.

Panic is the final issue. Fish can panic during netting, during a move, or even just when frightened by a loud noise, earthquake, etc. Commons, being so large and fast, will race around the tank like crazy and can injure the slower fancies. You can reduce the chance of injury in this situation by keeping sharp or rough objects out of the tank.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
hi flaringshutter, i have live plants in all the time, i just need to replace them regularly, they usually spawn into the weighted down cobomba or elodea. i only have female commons it seems, as the black moor started spawning this morning, and the only chasers were the fancy males, no breeding stars on any of the commons either. i will be keeping a close eye on them though.

on the tank i only have live plants, and 2 pieces of driftwood, the driftwood has no sharp edges anywhere and is covered in a layer of soft mossy algae, its a pretty bare tank to be honest.

thanks for the heads up though, i sit for ages just watching them so id notice very quickly if anything wasnt working out :goldfish:

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
thanks for the heads up though, i sit for ages just watching them so id notice very quickly if anything wasnt working out :goldfish:
Then you're already doing my number one recommendation. You'd be surprised how many people talk about a tank problem which surprised them, something that must have been going on for weeks! Just watching your fish for even a few minutes a day will help you understand the personalities and tank dynamics. Also... fish are awesome and fun to watch! :D

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
Then you're already doing my number one recommendation. You'd be surprised how many people talk about a tank problem which surprised them, something that must have been going on for weeks! Just watching your fish for even a few minutes a day will help you understand the personalities and tank dynamics. Also... fish are awesome and fun to watch! :D
:p: just a few minutes, lol i sit and watch them for an hour or so at a time when i feed them. fish are better than tv! :popcorn:

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
I've been known to go out to the pond "just for a minute", only to be called back in by the smoke detector because I forgot I had dinner cooking...oops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store