Community tank Dwarf Cichlid Picking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Hello I am a Cichlid newbie. Up until now my fish species consisted of livebears and tetras for the main swimmers in my tank. Now I have found out that dwarf cichlids make great fish in tanks. That being said right now in this 55 i have:
15, soon to be 3 or less, Balloon mollies (dont ask they love to make babies)
5 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Platies
3 Kuhli Loaches
5 Albino Cories
3 Danios
4 Otos
The tank is heavily planted and has a large piece of driftwood, and will soon(hopefully) be adding a bunch of rocks (possibly coal) to add something to look at. The Filtration is an eheim pro II 2028, so it is quite overfiltered at the moment. Ammonia and nitrates are non existent right now. My water has a pH of 6.8-7.2 (semi color blind), a dKH of 4 and a GH of 143ppm.

I would like to get some Cichlids. I have done some looking and was suggested to Bolivian Rams, but they are almost impossible to find. So here are my questions

1) What species Cichlids can I get?
2) Can I have multiple Species?
3) I have semi-hard water. If I want to breed a few would they breed?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
1. Any small cichlid you want. Kribs, Keyholes, and Apistos of all kinds would do well in there.

2. Sure, but I wouldn't do more than 2 species.

3.Depends. Tank-raised specimens might, but wild-caught would probably need soft water,. as most dwarf cichlids hail from soft water environments. Peat and water softening pads are effective to this end.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Coal would be poisonous to anything in your tank.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Coal would be poisonous to anything in your tank.
I actually have a book that states otherwise.
Enclyclopedia of Aquarium Plants
Peter Hiscock
p 89 bottom of page
"Once washed, coal is a striking rock that is safe to use in the aquarium"

EDIT: and i just bashed myself down with some research
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9703/msg00554.html
"Coal is a natural trap for a variety of compounds that aren't typical in
aquarium materials. Coal often contains substantial amounts of ferrous
sulfide (pyrite and marcasite) and sometimes gypsum - hydrous calcium
sulfate. Both of these can react and/or dissolve in the tank. Coal will
often also contain significant amounts of other metals - some of which
(like copper) are nice to have in trace concentrations but are toxic at
higher levels. "

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
1. Any small cichlid you want. Kribs, Keyholes, and Apistos of all kinds would do well in there.

2. Sure, but I wouldn't do more than 2 species.

3.Depends. Tank-raised specimens might, but wild-caught would probably need soft water,. as most dwarf cichlids hail from soft water environments. Peat and water softening pads are effective to this end.
Can I have multiple of each species that i pick or am I going to just be able to have a pair of each?

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I can't wait to get some apistos!

Keep in mind that rams need warmer water 80-84F and your other fish may not enjoy it so much. I don't know if this applies to apistos though.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I LOVE my gold ram, I need to get him a mate(wasn't sure of the sex for a bit being somewhat young). I keep the tank at 80 and everyone's fine, I have a somewhat similar fish group(including danios at one time). I do also keep a pinch of salt, about 1/2 TBS per 5 gallon for the molly and gourami. That dude uses every inch of the tank non-stop and always comes right up to the glass when I'm nearby, now after a few weeks, he gets along fine with everyone(although the gourami gets annoyed if he follows him around too much), he was a little spooked at my trio of male psycho platys for a few days at first. I love the way he moves like a robot half the time in short movements and the pivoting to the substrate looking for food is really awesome. The dude even eats algae wafers, flakes, and of course bloodworms. He top-feeds more often then not now....I only have room for one pair though, may get a female GBR for him...

Here, lightly tapped the lid and within 1/2 sec here they come, I thought rams were shy...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store