Compact Fluorescent light bulbs??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erodstrom

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2007
I'm currently giving planted tanks a try, and have a 2.5g glass betta tank. Right now I'm using one 15 watt compact fluorescent bulb with the standard 2liter bottle DIY CO2 setup. With the 15 watt bulb, I'm getting oxygen bubbles from all the plants and new sprouting stalks about 2 days after cutting stem plants.

I tried to up my lighting by putting in a second socket in the other side of the hood and running two 15 watt lbulbs, but it resulted in an immediate algae outbreak. when I dropped back to one 15w bulb, the algae almost completely went away. I'm now alternating the bulbs - one during the first half of the day, one in the second, but really only so I don't feel like I totally wasted the 5 bucks on the new socket! :huh:

By the way the 15 watt light is keeping my tank at an even 75 degrees, which the plants seem to do fine with. I do have a heater in there, but it hasn't been on since it was installed.

Mar 9, 2007
I bought a tank taht came with a hood, and it came with just two regualr 15W light bulbs. How would I go about converting it to fluorescent lighting? Is that something that anyone with basic electrical knowledge could do? Because my dad knows alot about that stuff. What all is needed to do the conversion from regular to fluorsecent?

ngochuynh

AC Members
Dec 10, 2006
ok thanks guys, I'll find out what K those lights are when I get home tonight.
get the 'daylight' compact fluorescent light at homedepot. A 27watts 2 bulbs pack cost $12.97. I'm using them for my tank and can't complain

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store