Companions for Bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suzabbe

AC Members
Aug 22, 2004
Hi, I was wondering what you think about having other fish species in the same tank as male bettas? I used to have some barbs with a large male betta and quickly learned to separate the fish. The betta seems to do fine with corys, however. I've read that Bettas can be with a lot of types of fish like danios, corys, tetras, angelfish, rasboras, loaches and plecos. Is this true? Has anyone had any problem with nipping or the male betta showing it's gills to the other fish and trying to fight them? (Sorry, don't know term for this, only know it's scary looking!)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Bettas will sometimes flare at other fish, but this is normal, and seldom results in more than a bit of a chase. Avoid fish that will nip the bettas fins, and other anabatoids (other bettas, gouramies, paradise fish), and fish that have flashy, floawing tails like fancy guppies. I have a betta in with kuhli loaches, swords, upside down cats, an eel, and a killie fish. No problems.

Semarin

AC Members
Jul 20, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
Will a betta get along with an Angelfish???

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not a good mix. Angels tend to be very nippy and will probably shred the betta.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Cory catfish and many of the smaller tetras work well. Neons, cardinals, silver tips, black neon, glowlights and rasboras as well.

suzabbe

AC Members
Aug 22, 2004
Cool. Yeah I was thinking that the angels wouldn't get along well since they do seem to nip at each other. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store