Compatability between Rainbow shark and Cories

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessa10

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Hello, I have a rainbow shark that I previously had tried homing with a gold gourami, pleco and rope fish but unfortunately the shark was harassed and chased non-stop by the gourami. I have a 75 gallon community tank with:
3 swords
3 platies
5 julie cories
5 peppered cories
3 panda cories
4 rosy glass barbs
5 black skirt tetras
4 angel fish

I decided to add the rainbow shark to that tank tonight and so far he is doing well with everyone. Will he become aggressive towards his tank mates as he matures or will he be ok as he's small (about 1.5") and will grow up with everyone? I will return him tomorrow if necessary. Thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree, the corys may eventually be in danger. We had a rainbow shark that body slammed them into the substrate. They chase other non-bottom feeders too. Adult angels were not bothered IME.

jessa10

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Do you guys think when he gets larger he could hold his own with the gold gourami again? If so, he will go back into my Rope Fish, pleco and Gold Gourami tank. (it's over 50gallons and they are the only inhabitants). I just need him to grow up a bit and stop being such a wimp with the gourami He was getting chased and nipped at relentlessly.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Grow him out in the 75, and if he starts getting territorial, put him back in the 55. I doubt he'll be much of a problem though.

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
I have a full grown Rainbow Shark and he bullies the smaller fish I have like tiger barbs and giant danios, but he doesn't do any damage, he just merely chases them away. He use to try to try to slam his body against my plecos when fighting for a spot, but again no physical harm came from either. What keeps my rainbow shark in line though are my cichlids. :) I think they do better when they aren't the biggest fish.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think you'll be fine until he gets to 3+ inches, not too long. But keep an eye on him. Then he probably will be ok with the gourami just be sure he has a couple caves, they like a territory of their own & so do plecs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store