Compatability Question?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdsworld8

AC Members
Aug 4, 2009
Hey, I was just wondering if the following fish are compatible and what size tank they should be in:

1 Redtail shark
2 Red parrot Fish
3 kuhli loaches
3 Pictus catfish
4 Emerald corydoras
2 Emerald Rainbow fish
2 Bosemani Rainbow fish
2 Red Rainbow fish

I was thinking 30 - 50 gallons. If something should be substituted, what should I substitute it with?

Thanks, Jason:thumbsup:

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I dunno about some of those but I know that red tailed sharks are a bit aggressive..

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
that is alot of bottom feeders for your tank.

both RTS's and RP's are aggressive, so its not a good idea at all to keep them with corydoras or kuhlis.

pictus will eat smaller fish and get to 8 inches, so its not a good idea to keep them with all of those small fish either.

take out those three species and you could have your fish in a 55 gallon tank. thin out the number of different kinds of fish and get more of the few kinds you choose to keep, and everyone in the tank will be happier.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
i completely agree jm1212. Definitely skip the red tail shark, pictus cat, and the red parrot fish. Also, it would be way better to stick with one rainbow species. A better option than rainbows would probably be some kind of tetra such as bleeding hearts. Then you could have 4 bleeding hearts, and about 12 of another, smaller species. That would look better than cramming just six rainbows into a 55. Of course, There are other setups you could do, but stick with fish under 4 inchs and there are many, more interesting, possibilitys. Perhaps you could even put in a fancy pleco?

L021

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
You need 2 tanks if you want all of these fish
Tank 1 - 60 gallons
1 Redtail shark
2 Red parrot Fish
3 Pictus catfish

You're still running a risk with the parrots though.

Tank 2 - 35-40 gallons
3 kuhli loaches
4 Emerald corydoras
2 Emerald Rainbow fish
2 Bosemani Rainbow fish
2 Red Rainbow fish

you should make each group 4 rainbows, they need a shoal to be happy.

jdsworld8

AC Members
Aug 4, 2009
What if I removed the pictus cats, the parrot fish and the rainbows? Would it be fine then? If so is there any small schooling fish that would survive with them? Perhaps a small school of dwarf neon rainbows? And replace the red tail shark with an albino rainbow shark.

Last edited:

jdsworld8

AC Members
Aug 4, 2009
What if I removed the pictus cats, the parrot fish and the rainbows? Would it be fine then? If so is there any small schooling fish that would survive with them? Perhaps a small school of dwarf neon rainbows? And replace the red tail shark with an albino rainbow shark. What do you suggest I add as a centre piece fish? The parrot fish were supposed to be but now theyre not. Any type of cichlid that would be good ( a pair)?

1 albino rainbow shark
3 kuhli loaches
4 Emerald corydoras
2 Common Pleco
- (schooling fish)
- (schooling fish)
- (schooling fish)
- (A pair of fish, something that would breed together and form a lifelong pair, can be moved to a larger tank)

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
You'll see the kuhli's and the cory's a lot more if you have each in a group of at least 6 - more would be better.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
^^^What they said^^^

Plus

Go with a 55g or larger. It gives you far more options, and is the smallest tank that would be comfortable for any large fish or fast swimming schoolers in. (and I don't mean very large fish, I mean regular rainbowfish size.)

You would go much better with a school of at least 6 of one variety of rainbow rather than mixing them all up. They would be happier and they would look far more impressive.

Two common plecos would add a huge amount to your bioload. I wouldn't do that if I were you. Stick with the cories and or kuhlis. 6 of a kind. They are both social fish. Rainbow shark is much better than RTS but may still be a problem when it gets bigger.

If you go with only kuhlis and cories, you could have the dwarf neon rainbows. If you want bigger fish, go with one of the other rainbows.

You could do this in a 55g:

6 cories
6 kuhlis
8 rainbowfish

jdsworld8

AC Members
Aug 4, 2009
1 albino rainbow shark
4 kuhli loaches
5 Emerald corydoras
5 Black skirt tetras
4 Congo tetras