Confused about my new Oscar....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscarchick

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Western North Carolina
Visit site
Hi! I recently bought a new fish tank, (unfortunately I am just now learning about cycling...) but anyways, everything seems to be going smoothly with 20% water changes every other day. I got an oscar about 4 days ago, along with an African Knife fish and a pleco. As soon as I turned on the light, all of the fish went haywire and went to the bottom of the tank. The knife fish hid under the pleco and the oscar laid over to one side and was barely moving his fins. As soon as I turned off the light, everyone came back to life, instantly. Last night I put some PVC pipe in the tank for the fish to hide in. I also put a piece of window tint on the plastic panel to tame down some of the light. A fellow "fish friend" suggested that I buy live plants to shade the light. I think that would be a great idea also. After using the tint, the fish don't seem to mind the light nearly as much. Of course they are staying in the PVC pipe alot of the time.
1. Do oscars just not like light??

Also, a got a Jack Dempsey last night. He is a little smaller than my oscar...but they seem to be quarreling. Any Suggestions? The pet shop told me that they were compatible fish...

I wish I had done more research before I bought my setup, but I am learning fast. I am doing whatever it takes to keep everyone happy and healthy. I am looking into an upgrade to a 55 gallon tank to move my oscar into.

It is amazing how fast you catch the fish fever!!! I am trying to convince my husband that this is not a bad fever so that he can join in the joy and fun of having fish aquariums. Presently, he feels that one aquarium is enough...I disagree. I will change his mind soon!! Wish me luck!!
Heather

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
so you've been bitten by the fish bug eh? i'm sorry to say there is no cure. my girlfriend is tolerant but doesn't like my "ugly" fish ie oscar and reedfish. just to warn you if you get a 2nd tank you'll only want a third :D. if you do get a new tank get the biggest you can manage would be my advice.

oscars certainly shouldn't be scared of the light but they do appreciate some shelter. it sounds like a case of over stressed fisheys to me. have you tested the water? hopefully they will settle in if you can control the water quality. there are various chemicals available which may be helpful in the next week or two -
i'm no expert on whats available in the usa though.

jd's and oscars MAY be compatible, the trouble with them and all large aggresive cichlids is that its a bit of a lottery as to how two individuals will get on - a bit like humans i guess! how big is your tank? these guys get big and like a territory.

regards
craig

Last edited:

oscarchick

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Western North Carolina
Visit site
Confused Oscar..

Thanks Craig! I have a 29 right now, but I am shopping for a 55 gallon. After reading alot of posts, I am going to cycle my tank for about a month before transferring my oscar over. I want to avoid all of this cloudy water stuff. If only I had researched before I bought my first tank. You are right, fish aquariums are addicting!!
Thanks for the reply!!
Heather:)

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Re: Confused Oscar..

Originally posted by oscarchick
I am going to cycle my tank for about a month before transferring my oscar over.
You are going to fishless cycle? Just to clarify, though maybe I am reading this wrong (if so, sorry), but you can't choose the timeframe in which your tank fully cycles.

Tom Griffin

AC Members
Aug 18, 2000
Cleveland, OH, USA
www.tomsfish.net
OK...I want to make sure I got this straight.

new 29 gallon tank...overstocked, likely with no contrary advice from the shop....

Fish showing obvious signs of distress...reaction to the light...sluggishness....

Have you tested the water...or had it tested? The parameters of the tank are critical in the early process. In english...it means that you cant tell for certain how the water is unless you test...and water is the core to most situations.

Next...didyou say you purchased a Jack Dempsey after already experincing these problems? Soundsto me like the shop is out for nothing but your money...I woudl shop around...for a new shop.

Plants...do you know what happens to live plants in an Oscar/Dempsey tank? I assume you got floating plants...uually small leaved...they get whooped...and the debris can really foul up the tank in a hurry...can cause more problems that they cure....

Take your time/..PATIENCE...make that your keyword...and you will ucceed greatly.

Good luck!

Tom

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Ture, It sounds like you LFS is the type that say anything to make another sale. A honest LFS wouldn't tell anyone to pop a JD in with an oscar in a 29G. In reality either the oscar or JD would be suited to a 55G(minimum pref 75G) let alone both. The only way to keep both for a short period of time would be to keep a juvenile of each.

As for the light, most CA/SA cichlids prefer subdued light, but they should become accustomed to bright light eventually. Especially if they learn to associate the switching on of the light with feeding time. Plants will also be short lived with these cichlids, so water changes is the only way to deal with nitrates.

Anyway its all a learning experience, its not your fault your LFS gave poor advice. Its sometimes best to research before purchasing.

oscarchick

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Western North Carolina
Visit site
Update....

Hello everyone! I really appreciate all of your advice. I have some unfortunate news... I came home yesterday and found that my Jack and Oscar were doing more than quarrelling. The Jack had absolutely destroyed my Oscar. Almost all of his scales were bitten off of the side of his body and his tail was practically gone. I was furious. I first called the pet store to express my agitation. I told them that I was bringing the Jack Dempsey back and they could do with it as they wished. I bought some Melafix for my Oscar and hoped for the best. I was so upset. (What made it even worse is that all of this could have been prevented if only I had more patience, done more research, and had a better source "pet store" knowledge.) At any rate, I came home early from work today with the flu and found a different fish in my tank. My Oscar was gone... My oscar had died during the morning and my husband went and bought me another one to try and keep me from getting so upset about losing my oscar. It was a sweet gesture, but I was still upset that I had lost my other one. This is such a learning experience. But, for a good note, I will have my new 55 gallon tank by the beginning of next week. Oh, and to clarify my hazy statement....I meant I was going to let my new tank fully complete its cycling before I transfer my new oscar over into that tank. I am certainly going to have more patience and better knowledge this time around. I have tested my water and the pH and the ammonia levels are great. I seem to be doing okay with my water quality, I am just having compatibility issues. These message boards are a life saver. I think it is wonderful how everyone pitches in to help each other. Again, thank you for all of your advice. PS. The new oscar and his new tank mates and getting along great!!!! Bye for now!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store