Confused to an extent about tank size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
Hello everyone this is my first post and I had a question regarding tank size and sharks/rays.

I am constantly reading things about how area is more important for these lovelies and how all the recommended tanks are 180+ and generally have a foot print of 72" x 24" x 24". It seems everything I have pretty much read is based on standard aquariums and if the area is whats important why wouldn't a custom built 72" x 24" x 16" which is around 120 gallons not be suitable? or even a 48" x 48" x 16" around 158g or a 48" x 16" cylinder which 125. I myself prefer square/hexagonal/octagonal/circular tanks I like the continuous flow of swimming over the back and forth. I would rather live in an short wide open room than a long narrow hallway of equal area XD

Thought about preformed ponds but I hear it's hard to put a viewing window in them because of the polyethylene plastic. My only thought is using nylon bolts or rivets through a formed cell cast acrylic sheet and the pond with a silicone or other type flange. The theory being the bolts and water pressure would create the seal with the gasket. Otherwise I hate them XD I want to view from the comfort of my couch or bed or where ever the tank would reside.

Anyway what are your thoughts about any of the above?

Geoff

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The 48x48 or the 48" diameter cylinder are the best choices. These give the sharks and rays plenty of room to turn around. However you must still keep in mind that maximum adult size of the fish you are planning on keeping. For small sharks like bamboo or epaulette sharks these would be fine. Same with the smaller rays. It would not be suitable for the larger sharks like nurse, blacktip, or leopard sharks as they get much too large for anything less than 5,000 gallons (and even that is pushing it for some species).

Andy

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
The 48x48 or the 48" diameter cylinder are the best choices. These give the sharks and rays plenty of room to turn around. However you must still keep in mind that maximum adult size of the fish you are planning on keeping. For small sharks like bamboo or epaulette sharks these would be fine. Same with the smaller rays. It would not be suitable for the larger sharks like nurse, blacktip, or leopard sharks as they get much too large for anything less than 5,000 gallons (and even that is pushing it for some species).

Andy
I honestly do not consider the larger sharks appropriate for any home aquarium a fish shouldn't have a more spacious house than me! ROFL. The largest aquarium I would ever consider is around 1000 gal a long beautiful rift tank would be amazing i.e 192" x 48" x 24" would be something to see full of african cichs but this isn't the right forum for that nor would I have that unless it was my permanent residence.

Thanks for the reply.
Geoff

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you have a basement you can build walls of cinder block and drop a liner over it. Add suitable filtration and you have the perfect tank for Stingrays at least. Who really needs to look at one straight on anyway?

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
If you have a basement you can build walls of cinder block and drop a liner over it. Add suitable filtration and you have the perfect tank for Stingrays at least. Who really needs to look at one straight on anyway?
Me! I'm to lazy to stand over for hours on end to view things I like being relaxed and leisurely view whats going on plus its easier to observe certain behavior being able to look over at random times like a stingray playing with a bubble disc or watching a couple rays racing and seeing one take the high outer stretch like in nascar XD although I don't watch it once I got my own tele I hated being inside when I was little cause my granddad loved nascar >< I'd go play in the creek catching crawdads etc. XD

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Me! I'm to lazy to stand over for hours on end to view things I like being relaxed and leisurely view whats going on plus its easier to observe certain behavior being able to look over at random times like a stingray playing with a bubble disc or watching a couple rays racing and seeing one take the high outer stretch like in nascar XD although I don't watch it once I got my own tele I hated being inside when I was little cause my granddad loved nascar >< I'd go play in the creek catching crawdads etc. XD
Buy a raft.

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
Buy a raft.
My imagination would get the better of me... "Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark. Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again." XD

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
What do you thank about the 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank? It is kind of round. You can cut and put a window planel on the side. They do have a company that makes the plastic tank with clear window on it but it is pretty pricey.

Anyway, if you going to build a 180 tank. Sometime it's cheaper and nicer to buy a use 180 tank. You just have to find a good deal. A big sheet if glass to make window to any DIY tank will be over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My imagination would get the better of me... "Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark. Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again." XD
I used to spend lots of time in a 5000 gal with two Blacktips. The first time I had a cut on my hand and let a bit of blood drip into the tank. No reaction. Cut a fish and let a drop of juice hit the water and it was off to the races!

126.JPG 121.JPG 045.JPG

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
What do you thank about the 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank? It is kind of round. You can cut and put a window planel on the side. They do have a company that makes the plastic tank with clear window on it but it is pretty pricey.

Anyway, if you going to build a 180 tank. Sometime it's cheaper and nicer to buy a use 180 tank. You just have to find a good deal. A big sheet if glass to make window to any DIY tank will be over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah Tractor Supply down the road sells those but there is a nicer preformed pond at Lowes also down the road that has a larger foot print a 72" x 72" x 18" compared to the stock tank 63.25" x 69" x 25" not to mention the pond is round where as the stock tank is oval and oddly shaped which would be annoying and painstaking to put a window in. I would rather use the 260 gallon preformed pond.

Geoff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store