Congo tetras white mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Hi guys, for a long time i've noticed my congos to have a white mouth on the inside but its not fuzzy or anything (not all but many) and many look like their mouth have eroded a little like the skin being gone...but I cant tell if it could be from smashing into rocks or glass or something else. None of the other fish show this symptom.

The congos (school of 18) are always fighting and chasing each other and many show signs of wanting to breed. As far as their overall health, they have great appetite and their colors seem fine to me. Thing is i dont remember them being this way a few years ago when their group size was only 12 or 13 and when they were smaller in size.

I've tried treating for a week with melafix, pimafix and even both with little change. Forgot to mention, the tank is a 120 gallon with an Eheim 2217 and a 2260 filter on it. Temperature is 76F. There are some live plants as well. The only water parameter that might be a little off is the PH which is on the low side - around 6.2.

So what do you guys think? Could it just be from bumping into stuff? Any help or suggestions welcome.

I've provided a video that might hopefully give a clue. Thanks in advance :)
http://powerthings.com/pics/congo.wmv

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Hi svtcontour,

I have a large School of Congo's as well. Just a couple of questions. Other than the plants in the tanks what else is in there congo's as you already know dart around alot are there any rocks, driftwood etc that they could be darting into. Also what are the params of the tank and other tanks mates. My Congo's have spawned a couple of times and this has never happened. I am not sure but could it just be fading with age. My school is quite young less than 12 months. Sorry but I could not get your video to play so could not look at them.

cheers

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Sorry to hear the video didnt work. Other than plants I have lots of drift wood and a few large rocks. I'll see if I can take a picture later tonight...it will be very tough with them darting around so fast.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
min have what almost appears to be a gray "lipstick" on the outside. if their other behavior is ok, i doubt that there is a problem could be a color morph?

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Hi inkyjenn, mine used to have what you describe as the slight grayish look on their lips but then the white started appearing. Its not so much white colour, it looks like its white because the skin is being scraped off or something. I was thinking maybe they are bumping into stuff but I guess that doesnt make sense because they were fine for a long time.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Hi Guys, I noticed the video wasnt working for me either. If you right click and save the video to your computer, it will play back fine. I dont know why it doesnt stream.

Thanks

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I have some pictures of the tank and fish. I have labeled the fish in worst condition as fish A, B and C. I have a shot of the tank so you can see the kind of surrounding (driftwood, rocks,etc) that might be there incase indeed it seems like they are smashing themselves on those when chasing each other.

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestion on what might be causing the white on the mouth and even on some what seems to be white inside the mouth - but in neither case are they fuzzy.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Hi svtcontour,

Got your PM and have had a look at the video and also just looked at the photo's you have taken. They Don't look diseased to me and the colour of you congo's is good. Usually if stressed congo's especially males colour tends to fade. Another question what is the male to female ratio of you congo's school as I didn't notice very many females in the tank. If these injuries are being caused by spawning tiffs or dominance it might be alleviated by introducing more females into the mix. My school has only 2 more males than their are females. Gives the boys more to think about.

Cheers

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
They look fine to me. Keep an eye; the organism which causes "mouth fungus" is the bacterium Flexibacter columnaris, so that's what you need to treat should anything come up.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Thanks guys for taking the time to check out the pics and videos. So the bit of white on the mouth or nose is most likely then scrapes due to some fighting or bumping?

DLV, I think my ratio of male to female is 4:1 so maybe I will try picking up a couple more females. PS. Thanks for getting back to me on the PM :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store