Connecting aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Has anyone here ever connected two aquariums end to end? I'm not talking about using aqua bridges that would allow fish to travel from one tank to another. I'm wondering about removing one end panel from two matching tanks, sealing them together with silicone and perhaps covering the seams by using silicone to attach pieces of glass cut from the end panels.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What size tank are you thinking?

How would you address the integrity of the top and bottom frame?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
What size tank are you thinking?

How would you address the integrity of the top and bottom frame?
+1. I wouldn't try it. You're going to have to remove the plastic framing anyways, creating a frameless tank. You're probably better off to actually have the glass custom cut to the dimensions you want and then construct the tank yourself. The cost may be a little more up front, but in comparison to what it is going to cost you if the seal doesn't hold, with water damage and loss of stock, you'll be better off.

There is a chart somewhere that gives dimensions of tanks, primarilyy the depth, and the proper glass thickness to create a tank that will hold and not bow of that depth. I'll see if I can find it. I can't remember what site it was on. That was a long time ago that I saw that. I want to say it was MFK.

WYite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Alright, I found the thread and it was MFK that it's on. Most of the links are broken and the information isn't real clear without them, though. You may be able to find that information with a Google search for building custom aquariums.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had a really cool 40g long that must have been DIY tank. The glass was very thick & was "braced" in the middle of the bottom. My first experience with a rimless tank...it weighed a ton! I got it for $5 with a 10g & equipment...they didn't want to have to carry it back to their basement...

Think about a DIY instead of your connect the tanks idea, I think that would be easier & work better...Glass is fairly inexpensive & my local (National Glass?) guys were very willing to help me with light supports. That's all I've got...but I don't think I'll do a rimless again...

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I had a really cool 40g long that must have been DIY tank. The glass was very thick & was "braced" in the middle of the bottom. My first experience with a rimless tank...it weighed a ton! I got it for $5 with a 10g & equipment...they didn't want to have to carry it back to their basement...

Think about a DIY instead of your connect the tanks idea, I think that would be easier & work better...Glass is fairly inexpensive & my local (National Glass?) guys were very willing to help me with light supports. That's all I've got...but I don't think I'll do a rimless again...
I had an old 55 gallon that all the frames cracked and starting falling off. It didn't have a brace because it was old and the glass was 1/2 inch. I took the frames all off and resealed it, and then dropped a rock on the bottom when it was about 80% full. Wife wasn't happy. My 225 is a really old Oceanic tank(circa late 1960s. I got it in 1991 and the gal I got it from had had it for 20 or 25 years) and doesn't have any braces in the middle either. It has two plastic pieces that I can position as I see fit. But it's 3/4 inch glass and weighs a ton. Takes four REALLY big guys (think linebacker, lol) or six normal guys to move it. Me and a friend moved his 180. I think 180s today use 1/2 inch. Huge difference.

WYIte

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It was all my husband & the seller could do to pick up the 40g & put it in the car. But my husband & I did manage to get into our house...with lots of rest breaks & onto a low 1960's stand. I don't think we could do that these days, too whimpy...

Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store