Consistently high nitrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, which I've become very familiar with due to frequent use. My tank is a 29g (20l footprint), which I chose for a taller water column because it was intended for a school of gambusia. Tank was set up in mid October, so I'm positive it's cycled at this point. I also observe it daily, feed my fish twice a day, and maintain it fairly regularly. (I work as a "sales associate", so my schedule is highly erratic, and the GM is very reliable about waiting until the last second to post the new schedule. This makes it extremely difficult to plan anything in advance, or even follow a set routine.)

As stated, the tank was intended for my school of gambusia, so they were added when I set the tank up. Also in the tank are a pair of BNs (definitely a male and female), a bunch of ghost shrimp, and 3 electric blue rams. (And snails - ramshorn and pond snails.) I decorated the tank with 3 "medium" pieces of mopani (soaked for over a year), some small lava rocks, live plants, and a resin/plastic skull decoration from Petco. The plants are wisteria, Christmas moss - 1 floating ball and 2 that I've dismantled and attached to the mopani and a rock, 5 small marimo moss balls and 1 huge marimo "rock", anubias (attached to the mopani), 1 small java fern, 1 small El Niño fern, and 5 plants that I can't remember if they are ozolets or crypts. The plants are all doing very well, and have really grown. I've had to thin out the wisteria a few times. The fish are also doing very well, are very active, and eat readily.

Lighting is the fluorescent tube that came in the included hood, which is an Aquaeon Deluxe. The filter is a Whisper 40i - placed in the middle of the tank on the back pannel (the whole ensamble was a kit), which I've been using because I've been able to completely cover the tank with the hood. (I did buy a Fluval AC 30, a glass top, and a full spectrum LED for the tank.)

I test my water regularly. Ammonia and nitrite are negligible if present at all, the pH of the tank holds around 6.6 (it goes up after a WC), but I get consistently high nitrate readings - 40+, no mater how much water I change out. For me, water changes include a serious gravel vacuuming, and with black sand it's easy to see the debris! The water I take out is from vacuuming the substrate, and I use a dedicated 5g bucket as my dump bucket, so I know I change out more than 25% of the water. However, the nitrate readings never seem to change. I change my filter media regularly too, and add Tetra SafeStart Plus directly to the filter when I change the media. My water conditioner is Prime.

Here's what is really bugging me - I just did a 50% water change, rearranged the tank, changed the filter media, refilled the tank, and then vacuumed out another 6+ gallons. I waited 24 hours before testing, so everything would settle down. I expected a slight ammonia increase, and it read right around .25, zero nitrite, pH had gone up to around 7.6 (possibly higher because my tap water is around 8), but the nitrate reading was exactly the same as it was immediately before working on the tank. (The water was crystal clear, and the fish showed absolutely no signs of distress. They actually seem more lively and active, and their hearty appetites haven't been affected.)

I did not test GH or KH, because I haven't found a kit yet. After discussing my tank issues with a couple others, I bought some Tetra "6 in one" test strips to hopefully get a ballpark estimate of GH/KH. According to the strips, the GH is 300 (or higher, as the pad is a little more orange than the chart swatch), the KH is between 40 and 80, the pH is around 8.4, and the nitrate is between 20 and 40. According to the liquid test, ammonia and nitrite are zero, pH is around 7, and nitrate is reading a very bright candy apple red that indicates 40 and above. (I fed the fish about an hour ago, but my usual test routine is at night before the evening feeding.) And I have cut back on feeding.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my tank? Someone told me that my nitrate is so high because I have live plants, but research has told me that plants should lower nitrate. Could my test kit reagents be bad? I've shaken the crud out of the bottles, so I don't think they could be settled. I follow the test directions - shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds, then shake the tube for a full minute. I even tested my tap water, and it reads zero for nitrate.

Anyway, input is greatly appreciated.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There's a date code on API test kit bottles, maybe yours is out of date? Do you vac inside the skull? It might trap stuff. I told you before, I like your tank! But wish the filter wasn't so obvious.

I know others hate test strips but I don't. They're not super accurate & leaving the package open can wreck the strips but they give a quick idea of what's going on. If you're cheap like me you can cut them vertically in half.

Can you take a water sample to test at work? I think it's just strips too but it'd help to have another test.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
How are the fish? are they health and active?
VERY!!! Only sign of stress I've ever seen has been during tank maintenance, and they are always back to their usual antics before the "dust" settles.

There's a date code on API test kit bottles, maybe yours is out of date? Do you vac inside the skull? It might trap stuff. I told you before, I like your tank! But wish the filter wasn't so obvious.

I know others hate test strips but I don't. They're not super accurate & leaving the package open can wreck the strips but they give a quick idea of what's going on. If you're cheap like me you can cut them vertically in half.

Can you take a water sample to test at work? I think it's just strips too but it'd help to have another test.
Work uses the same strips I bought, so I'd most likely get the same results.

The expiration date on my kit is 02/2019, but I bought it about two years ago. There's a LFS near me that specializes in saltwater, but does have a nice selection of freshwater fish and clean plants. I've been there quite a few times, and took a water sample with me today when I went to check for a GH/KH test kit. I gave them all the important details, and they said the reagents only last about 6 months after opening them. They also tested my sample, and it was much lower. (It barely turned orange.) I bought a new kit, so am going to test my water before feeding the fish tonight.

I rearranged the tank a bit when I cleaned it last Sunday. I bumped one of the pieces of mopani and just couldn't get it back *exactly* where it had been. So I moved all the wood, moved some plants, took out the marimo balls (and squeezed them out in some tank water), and moved the skull a little more toward the right corner. I do vac inside it, and vacuumed all around it when I moved it. I has a bunch of loose Christmas moss in it, and my female BN regularly hides in it. (It's funny when she swims out one of the eye sockets.) I also see ghost shrimp exploring in it.

The filter was only going to be a temporary one until I was able to locate the Fluval. But then I discovered I could work the hood so it completely covers the top of the tank, which both cuts down on evaporation and reduces debris getting into the tank. (There's constant construction where I live, and you can't escape the dust.) The wall behind the tank is a dark avocado green, and the filter is a little less obvious when the house is dark. But yeah, it's pretty much right there, LOL!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You know I meant that filter thing in only the best way, there's always improvements to be made in all our tanks. Sometimes it's hard to see without outside critiques, no hard feelings...really! I do like your tank!...but not those nitrates!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
No offense taken, believe me! I've looked at that thing so many times I don't see it anymore, LOL! One of these days I'll try a canister.

So I got a new master test kit on the advice of my LFS, and tested my nitrate. Same exact reading as my old kit! I followed API's instructions to the letter, but the guy at my LFS didn't. He used slightly more water, added 10 drops of Solution 1, then gently shook Solution 2 and added 10 drops, then capped the bottle with his thumb and shook it a few times and set it on the counter. It barely changed color.

So what's the chance that a brand new test kit is bad???

And my sis dropped by a while ago and I asked her if my fish seem distressed. She looked confused and said, "No" as they swarmed the front of the tank begging for food.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Absolutely beautiful setup! Unbelievable you've got that type of plant growth from a standard 24" 17watt fluorescent lamp!

If your nitrates are high, you are not changing enough water based on your stocking level and feeding regimen. You could feed twice a day, but do it extremely lightly. FWIW, I feed my tanks 5 days a week.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Absolutely beautiful setup! Unbelievable you've got that type of plant growth from a standard 24" 17watt fluorescent lamp!

If your nitrates are high, you are not changing enough water based on your stocking level and feeding regimen. You could feed twice a day, but do it extremely lightly. FWIW, I feed my tanks 5 days a week.
Thanks!!! I've been very happy with my underwater paradise.

I cut back on feeding, so will reduce the amount in the morning. My BNs and ghost shrimp clean up everything the gambusia and rams don't eat, and my male BN has a voracious appetite. The frozen is harder to cut back on, but will focus on feeding brine shrimp and bloodworms, which are what my fish prefer. Will fresh veggies like zucchini affect the nitrate level?

When I do water changes, I take out water by vacuuming the sand. Would just siphoning out water - without vacuuming - and replacing it with fresh water help? I don't mind the whole gravel vac tank maintenance thing, I actually enjoy working on/in my tank, it's just a matter of trying to plan out a routine with a highly unpredictable work schedule.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Did you test you water out of tap? With that much plants, your Nitrates should be low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store