Constipated?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DWestover

AC Members
Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
I believe one of my fish is constipated. There has been a decrease in activity, she is no longer eating and she is also very bloated looking. Today I went out and bought a quarintine tank. I set it up with water from the old tank (trying not to stress the fish any more). The tank is only a one gallon tank. (it was all the hubby would let me buy) I read that adding epsom salt with help with constipation in fish. I would be grateful for any further information.

Thanks

wetmanNY

AC Members
I have a pencilfish who's bloated too. I though she was filling with eggs. She's a little old to be fooling around, but so am I.

Epsom Salts helps a warm-blooded mammal with constipation, but I'm afraid that our fish both are swelling up with retained fluids because their livers aren't functioning. It's a terminal symptom of the fishes' system breaking down.

I don't know what kind of fish you're referring to, but some brine shrimp or some spinach offer bulk in the diet and can help a fish pass a mild obstruction.

DWestover

AC Members
Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
It is a blue gourami that I am refering to. She is only about 2 months old. So I am doubtful that it could be age. And if she is swelling up due to her liver not functioning shouldnt I just take her out of her pain by humanly killing her?

Added in: She had brine shrimp in her diet daily.

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
sounds like it's time to try a little roughage. spinach is a popular form at my jouse, as is a pea without the skin.
I feed a general omnivore frozen cube twice a week to my kids. I think it's called Emerald Entree from Petco?
It has lettuce, brine shrimp, and a host of other stuff, but the gouramis love it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store