Convict Cichlid Fry - first time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

htrauqer

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Texas
Well, they did it. My Convicts finally hatched their first fry last night. They’ve moved all around the aquarium together two or three times now. I’m going to have to re-home my Yellow Lab I think, she’s been in hiding since they hatched. Should be interesting to see where we go from here.
AABD1BAF-8D02-4110-B62C-C917D7B382A9.jpg

Reactions: the loach

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Congratulations on the spawn!

htrauqer

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Texas
Can anybody tell me why the mother shakes and stirs up the substrate in the middle of the fry? Is that to help them find things to eat or is that a signal?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It could be both but more likely stirring up substrate to find food.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Parents clean up after fry sometimes (both food & poo) or just move them to a clean spot. They sometimes chew & spit food for the fry. & when they move them they sometimes "chew" them a bit. I don't know what that means, maybe feeling to see if they're normal...but after a while (1-2 weeks or so) the male "forgets" to spit out fry & the female may drive him off...until she's ready for the next round of breeding...she's not usually as "forgetful" as males but it does happen...

How may fry do you guess you have? The spawns will get bigger, convicts can soon get to 100! I did warn you...& that will be every month!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store