Convict Cichlid turning orange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Well then your not going to get any fry from the eggs, a male needs to br present to fertilize the eggs otherwise they just die. If I were you I'd go and pick up a nice male from the LFS be remember, convicts breed like rabbits and you'll be stuck with tons of fry.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Don't get a male unless you have a way to get rid of the fry including using them for food for other fish. Her eggs are not viable without a male to fertilize them.

Getting rid of convict fry can be problematic. They have babies every 28 days roughly and can number as high as 200 (+/-). That's alot of fry to unload. They will have more fry before the fist set has grown large enough for sale.

Juzah

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
For the sexing of them - When the males reach sexual maturity they will develop Humps on the top of their heads.

If you do decide to get a male, I'd go for one thats bigger than your female - and possibly get two if you've enough plants/obstacles in the tank to provide adequate hiding places - just to ensure you do get a pair.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Like stated earleir, don't get a male unless you have a use for the fry. Alot of lfs's near me won't even give store credit for them since they are so easy to breed and have tons of fry. Males do not need a nuchal hump to be sexually mature(my male bred at 2" when I kept them), the hump occurs as they age. I would not get two males since they do breed so easily. Getting two males will mean either 1)you will have to rehome one of them or 2) you will end up with only one male since the other will have a high likely of being eradicated by the dominate male.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
THe only things needed for breeding convicts is fish and water. You have those two and tey will breed. Getting rid of the fry is always problematic. If you have a larger fish, convict fry make good feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store