Convict Cichlids Won't Eat!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Females, IME, are quite aggressive to each other. Much worse than males, unlike Frank's experiences.

Are they still not eating? High nitrates & generally poor water conditions can inhibit appetite sometimes & lead to diseases. What mare your water params & maintenance schedule like? How long have you had them?

I would say don't add a male in such a small tank with all those females...it's barely big enough for 1 female (ok...maybe 2) & 1 male to breed...at best. Females are small but feisty, males wimpy but larger...& you're overstocked if they do breed & you get fry.

But fish that don't eat don't breed either...tell us more...what do you try to feed, how often, water changes?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Females, IME, are quite aggressive to each other. Much worse than males, unlike Frank's experiences.

Are they still not eating? High nitrates & generally poor water conditions can inhibit appetite sometimes & lead to diseases. What are your water params & maintenance schedule like? How long have you had them?

I would say don't add a male in such a small tank with all those females...it's barely big enough for 1 female (ok...maybe 2) & 1 male to breed...at best. Females are small but feisty, males wimpy but larger...& you're overstocked if they do breed & you get fry.

But fish that don't eat don't breed either...tell us more...what do you try to feed, how often;water changes, how often?

Fishwimp

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016

Are they still not eating? High nitrates & generally poor water conditions can inhibit appetite sometimes & lead to diseases. What are your water params & maintenance schedule like? How long have you had them?

But fish that don't eat don't breed either...tell us more...what do you try to feed, how often;water changes, how often?[/QUOTE

I do water changes once a week every week, 50-60%. Only thing bad is the nitrate. they are aggressive towards each other yet very shy. Two are the "Alpha" females I guess I could say, one is a sidekick, and one is extremely shy and non-aggressive. Do you think I should rehome one of them? and if yes should it be the least or most aggressive?

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
the reason you have high nitrates is because you don't take out enough water during water changes. Start doing 90% instead of 50-60%

Reactions: Fishwimp
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store