Convict Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mad Hero

Just like a paper tiger
Dec 1, 2002
Ridley Park, PA
Visit site
When my convicts bred, i put half in a unheated 10 gallon tank and left the rest with their parents. All died. The little ones in the 10 either froze to death or got sucked up by the filter. The ones with the parents were eaten. I have a heater for the 10 now.
I need some care tips.
:confused:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
I would let the parents take care of the fish for as long as possible(this may take a coupe spawn attempts before they get it right.. if at all). This may leave you with less fry but this is the most interesting behavior cichlids provide imo. Once they get the hang of it they should care for the brood for at least 3 weeks after which time they will probably breed again and the previous spawn are legit targets.

As far as food is concerned microworms and Artemia nauplii would be great. If not available ground up some dry food so that it is really really fine. Ideally the water should have a pH of 7 with a dH of around 10-12. water should be anywere between 75 -80 degrees. These conditions should give you nice fast growing fry.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
When my blue acaras breed i take out half the fry when free swimming and put them into a 2g tank, after that i put them ito a 10g with a power filter with a filter sponge on the intake so no fry are sucked up and i always yield good results.

SAAC

AC Members
Feb 6, 2002
Lx Portugal
Boas,

Leave them all with the parents.
They will eat the first or second spwan couse of inexperience after that they will eat them if they fell dangerous. Give them same calm time after spwan.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store