Convict Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

net_shark512

Useless Chit Chat Posts 999,999
Dec 15, 2002
Whitehall,Pa
Visit site
About a month ago I bought a very small maybe a 1/2'' blue convict. I put him in my 55g with my 2 jewels. I knew he was to small to go with them but for some reason I did it anyway. Well after 2 days he was no where to be found. I figured they got him. About 5 days ago I was cleaning the tank and he came out from one of the caves. I was shocked he was hidding for a month? anyway he hasn't grown at all and his tail is chewed off almost up to the back of the dorsal fin. The only thing I could do to save him was I put him in my wifes 29g with her 2 angels. My questions are. I know he can't stay in there long because he will do some damage to the angels but right now he is so small I think I will get away with it for a bit. How long do you guys think before he starts picking on the angels? When he gets older will he be able to hold his own with my 2 jewels from hell. What about his tail? Will it grow back being ripped off that far up? and if not could a fish live without it? Right now he seems to be happy swims well, eats good and doesn't bother the angels yet. If anything they chase him a little. My intentions are to let him get a little size and put him back with the jewels. If he beats my wifes angels up I am in trouble. Also what is the difference between a blue con and a regular one besides color?Sorry for the long post.

ChiefXP

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
blue convict?

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
You'd be talking about a honduran red point im assuming, which aren't really as aggressive as black or pink con's. I'd say you'd be fine having that con in with the angels for a little while, and yes the tail will heal, I'd add some melafix to the tank to speed up the healing process, and depending on water quality I'd get some maracyn and maracyn 2 because if the tail is completely gone all the way to the base, im suspcious of fungal infection. Be looking for white cotton like growth in the next day or so. Once it gets some size it should hold its own with the jewel's but i'd probably introduce the con and keep an eye on them for a couple day's rearranging decorations if you must.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store