convicts and blue acara

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abuvtherim2

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
ive heard of convicts and other fish breeing i was wondering if its possible for my convict to breed with my blue acara my blue acara is a 2" male and i have 3 convicts all about 1" can it happen?

makhcd

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
St. Louis
why would you not want it to happen?

mandy-2007

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Australia, NSW
because it causes hybrids

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
Hybrids are not necessarily bad. There's nothing inherently evil about creating them. The problem is that sometimes the hybrid offspring will look similar to one parent or the other, which can result in them being mistaken for the parent species (i.e., someone mistaking an acara/convict hybrid for an acara). If such a fish were to be bred with other acaras, those offspring can taint the bloodline. Reptile hobbyists have been seeing a lot of this lately, because many commonly kept species of snakes are easy to hybridize. It's a big fat juicy can of worms, but the best thing to do is try to breed true. If you're really interested in seeing what the hybrid offspring would look like, it's your (very serious) responsibility to be sure anyone to whom you give/sell offspring understands that they are hybrids. Some hybrids are actually very attractive — look at flowerhorns.

Dark Desk RE

Registered Member
May 17, 2019
There's nothing wrong with hybrid icing fish. fish keepers forget that parrots, flowerhorns, and Texas reds are hybrids.Hybridizing it's considered perfectly fine, or even wanted, a majority of the pet community. Exceptions to that being fish and tarantulas. And I'm sure there's a few more. Monkey_toes has it right though. You want to make sure that if you are selling these fish that people know exactly where they came from. If you're going to try to create a certain type of hybrid then it will take a lot of line breeding and a lot of calling. But I would be interested to see the results. Also my blue acara and albino convict cichlid have paired and bread. of course I'm going to allow it to happen and I'm going to continue to see where this can go. And if in the end I can come up with a beautiful and interesting hybrid then I will sell it as such.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Extremely old thread......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store