Cool ideas, other than fish, for aqaurium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

miguelitro

AC Members
Sep 23, 2004
San Diego CA
I'm considering adding a few thing to my new 100 gal aquarium with dry land and lots of plants, like the 10 gal in my sig but BIGGER!.
here are some ideas....
Crawfish from the Bait and tackle store...
Some kind of freshwater crab?
Chinese frogs, i think they swim mostly and wont hop out???
Shrimp, they are real good at escaping though right?
Some kind of lizard, amphibious of course...
I really need to let the tank run for a couple months to build up a substrate and get it all planted but i'm just thinking ahead...
Thanks,
Mike

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Crawfish and souch will be a problem to any fish you have in there small enough to get caught(like skeeterfish). Shrimp would be cool, no worries of escape with a good lid. Have you ever seen those water dogs? They look sort of phallic with short legs and "hairlike" gills. I'll see if i can't find a link.

miguelitro

AC Members
Sep 23, 2004
San Diego CA
those are definatly cool but that is not really the look i'm going for, i'm just not into the exotic fish thing...
I am really getting serious about the crawfish thing, i'm not worried about them eating my fish as by the time i get something to put in there i will need it to work as population control for the fish. Plus, they are really cheap at the bait shop!!!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
crayfish will eat anything they can catch and i mean anything from fish to frogs to lizards to young turtles if they can catch it they will eat it.

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
Yah, Crawfish will eat anything they can catch, and dig more than you might think. How high is your flow rate going to be? In moderate to high flow set ups with both land and water, you might be able to get away with bigger amphibians, like a water dog. Or if you're limiting your amphibians, you might try some water insects, though they are often predatory.

miguelitro

AC Members
Sep 23, 2004
San Diego CA
sumthin fishy said:
They are in essence aquatic lizards...not fish.

exactly something "other than fish" is the question(though i know this is an Aquaria board)!!!
any ideas?
Those crawfish are pretty...well...pretty but at 30$ a pop i'm not too into it. Plus they are alittle to "bling-bling" for the character of my tank...
I'll try the crawdads from the bait store and if they eat too many of my guppies then they will be used to catch dinner :D
A reptile would be real cool though...
Thanks for the links and info!
Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store