Copepods, Good Bad Or Indifferent?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Well, I have figured out without a doubt that my tank contains copepods, as well as what is possibly also planaria.

I'm wondering, how did the copepods/planaria get in there? What should I do about it?
I looked at one of the pods on the glass under a 7x jewellers loupe and was able to determine that they look like this.

the planaria is what I'm most concerned about, because I've read that while they may not harm the fish, they are a sign of bad conditions. I've removed my hornwort which shed just about every needle it had, and I think was causing alot of problems due to all the rotting needles, Also I did 2 water changes yesterday to bring nitrite/nitrate levels (woohoo i think my tank is almost finished cycling... again...) and clean up the big mess of hornwort.

Hopefully this will help with the planaria as well as my bettas month long case of fin rot :(

So I'm really just looking for some info on the copepods and planaria if anyone has any. :)

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I could be way off here but from what I've read, planaria are carnivorous flatworms and are most likely feeding on the copepods and/or daphnia which are filter feeders that feed on water borne algae. As to where they possibly came from, no clue. I might try to blackout for a couple days ( or some Seachem Excel or API Algaefix) to cure the root problem. No algae, no copepods, no copepods, no planaria...
I don't think either are necessarily indicators of poor water quality, but removing all the debris can't hurt. Good luck! (It does get easy once stable btw, hang in there).

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
you'd probably be better without them, but the planaria and copeopods probably arent going to hurt the fish. as you said though, they are a sign of deteriorating water conitions. make sure to do plenty of gravel vacs and large water changes. not only will it get the water quality back into check, but it will also help with the fin rot.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
well, after the massive cleaning yesterday, I imagine the water must be pretty clean. I should probably do a test tonight and check params, but hopefully with the hornwort gone, it will keep alot of the rotting mess out of the tank. The betta is fed every other day, and usually eats everything I give him, with maybe only one or two tiny flakes or pieces of bloodworm left floating.

I have been using excel for a couple of weeks, and dont see the algae growing on my glass anymore, also most of the hairy algae on my plants is gone as well, thank you excel :) but there are a few strands left.

When I last checked(lastnight before 50%, 25% WCs), my nitrites were about 0.50, and nitrates were around 5 .... Ive seen the 5ppm nitrate reading before, but didnt think much of it because the colours are so close, but with a noticible nitrite spike, I can assume my cycle is moving along?

odd though, only one week prior I was getting nothing, no ammo, rites or rates, nothing, even after leaving the water sit for a week before changing... now after the massive overload of ammonium chloride last week, and the WCs to correct it, I see nitrites :)

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Planaria are specifically from too much leftover food in the tank and not siphoning it out. High nitrates won't bring em, high TDS won't bring em, but repeated overfeeding and leftover food in the tank will.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
like i mentioned above, the tank isnt overfed. The betta only gets 2 or 3 bloodworms, and a couple little flakes, every other day. And he is very good about eating it all. There are only maybe one or two little flake pieces, or bloodworm leftover...... and he even comes back later and picks those off the bottom.

He also nibbles on the copepods and worms.... I watched him grabbing pods out of the water as they dart by, and even pick them off the glass.
Its really cool to see, because there are water bubbles in the water column that are no bigger than the pods, and he is easily able to determine which ones are the food :)

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hi Dark Soul. I came across an article yesterday that stated that copepods were from overfeeding as well. Have you found any more info on them?

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
no not really, but ive been wondering if having an algae eater might help, by consuming the algae and starving the copepods.

maybe just a couple of cory cats or something?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Some cories just might be a great answer! I have a few albinos in my tanks because I have to feed heavy and they get the excess flake and pellets that settles in amongst the plants. In my bristlenose breeding tank which is really thick with plants I also have ramshorn snails in addition to the cories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store