copper used in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

svaha

AC Members
Dec 12, 2007
Venus ,Texas
stormmaile.bravehost.com
I was just given a aquarium ,they had used it as freshwater but in that time they treated for snails with a copper based treatment. Is it possible to "clean" this tank so it would be invert safe ?

Thanks
svaha

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
It's possible, but risky.

I would probably remove all of the silicon and reseal it. Scrub the whole thing (bleach isn't a bad idea but make sure you rinse it till your hands are pruned, then rinse some more).

Even then, the first thing I would do is put a few snails in it once it's going to see if they make it a few weeks. If not, your probably good to go.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Silicone does NOT absorb copper. A simple rinse, and if you want, little bleach if it makes you feel better, and the tank will be perfectly fine. I dare anyone to show me any real proof that copper used in a tank in the past and then given even a simple rinse poses any threat to anything in the future. Glass and silicone do not absorb stuff. I can show you my 29G reef tank that has been dosed with copper many times and still flourishes today and the only thing I ever did was put it in the bathtub and fill up with water, let overflow for about a minute, drained, and reused.

Sorry, but that is one "Myth" about copper that is told so many times without any proof and it is one of my pet peeves.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If tank is dry I would wash well with a 50/50 mix of bleach water, rinse thoroughly and dry well. Let it do a fishless cycle and then put into use. Instead of bleach you can always use ammonia but still rinse well.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I witnessed first hand 2 cap fulls of copper get accidentally dumped into a SPS tank about 6 weeks ago.

The SPS & inverts weren't happy. But a few water changes later and everything came back full force and looks great.

I don't buy into the bunk that silicone absorbs copper.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
I have already researched this topic for an older post.

The copper will adhere to surfaces and the clean up would take using white vinegar and scrubbing it down very well with lots of it.... then washing it repeatedly...

Toss any rocks or substrate they are contaminated... but cleaning up the tank should not be an issue just liberally use vinegar and scrub it down a lot.
Several wash overs and then cleaning it with dish soap and thorough rinses should do the job...

If you are still not sure, after cleaning fill with water and use a copper test kit see if anything leeches out...if you are that paranoid.

svaha

AC Members
Dec 12, 2007
Venus ,Texas
stormmaile.bravehost.com
Thanks to everyone for the advice ,not sure what I am doing with the tank yet.was a freebie 58 gallon,I see lots of live rock but the wife wants a black ghost knife, a awesome fish,daughter wants cherry shrimp,love inverts,my son wants to catch animals out of the local waters,like this idea also. Anyway thanks for everyones advice.

Thank you
svaha

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
you are fine.. just make sure you clean it well

it has been proven that the new style sealant doesnt absorb copper.. and anything else that it could get stuck to-- it would be in such a small amount that it wouldnt matter anyway

just clean it really good and you are fine

Teto

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
Use activated carbon in your filter for the firs days of the cycle just to be sure than there is not copper in the water. copper should be eliminated with any method recomended above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store