Cories are laying eggs again!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gupman

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
Pennsylvania
Well prolly the new 1's i got from lfs to keep the others company..The weird thing is the cherry shrimp are eating them? I caught her triin to stick them to a plant which didnt work then they fell into the java moss.....Is when the shrimp started eating them...It's not like i dont feed them.Theyu get a variety of different foods and lots of algea all over the back and sides of tank? I didnt think cherry shrimp would do that of course they dont eat the pond snail eggs:>(. Any Ideas?

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
That is correct. The female's gather the sperm from the male's and as she deposit's the eggs she fertilize's them at the same time. If you watch the cory's interact, you will see the female's and male's get together every now and then.

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The eggs get fertilized when the male and female are in the T position. She then finds a spot to place them. But, just because eggs are placed doesn't mean they've been fertilized. I once watched an albino female place eggs all over the tank and not once did the male come near her. So, all of the eggs were infertile. Infertile eggs will turn white instead of tan.

htinkle

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
Infertile eggs will turn white instead of tan.
So ones that turn white are unfertilized? My female peppered laid eggs a few weeks ago. I thought they were infertile because there wasn't much color change. One morning a few days later, every time I turned around I noticed more eggs missing and thought she was eating them (I had seen her picking at them). I rescued the last one and put it in a jar, even though it looked white. Within ten minutes I witnessed the live birth of a baby cory while having my morning coffee. Very interesting stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store