cory/betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudvayne

AC Members
Feb 28, 2004
New Hampshire
I was wondering if i could put a cory in my betta tank(Male) there are plenty of hiding places I ask becouse his tank is starting to grow algae.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
cory's arent really algae eaters ya know. They are foragers. They will hunt the substrate for any un-eaten food, but it terms of eating algae, I too made the same mistake, then i did my research. Oto's work really well for algae control, at least in my tank. Those little buggers work endlessly

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
no.
Ive never put them together but Ive noticed that aggressive fish love to peck at these guys. Its probably becasue they are slow and cant do any damage to anything. I wouldnt stick otos in either because they would get eatin.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
well, I have corys in my betta tank, the most he has done so far, in his poke them a little bit. No biting, no hurting, nothin. Granted the cory's have alot of hiding places around driftwood and plants, but, ALSO, I have oto's in that same tank, and the betta is more interesting in zooming around the tank.
Betta's, from what I have seen, only get PO'ed at those that are the same size or bigger then they are, or have longer fins. ANd if u give the betta's enough to explore, they will be more entertained with that

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You really should have a 10 gallon tank before adding any cories. And they require being in groups of 5 or so. 3 can work but the more the btter. And as was mentioned above cories don't eat algae.

Amano Shrimp might be a good choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store