Cory Catfish Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corys30

AC Members
Feb 4, 2023
My Cory cats recently laid about 20 eggs on the glass of my 29 gallon aquarium. My apistogrammas have been eating them, and I was wondering if there was a safe way to remove them and transfer them to a grow out tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never done it, but you can try rolling the eggs onto your finger tip (gently of course) & then rolling them off in a 10 or 20g tank with exactly the same water conditions. It's much easier to move the spawners into a smaller tank. Wait until they lay eggs then remove the parents.

White eggs are likely infertile, amber/tan eggs are apt to be fertile...but NoodleCats had some whitish cory eggs hatch recently! so don't be in a hurry to remove those. & as you've seen, every fish loves to eat eggs, fertile or not. & they may help your apistos get in a spawning mood too...caviar snacks!

Just so you know, 20 eggs are a fairly small batch, depending on the species. They may just be practising for the future (eek!) It's time for you to decide & prepare for the next time & what you want to do about it when that happens. Maybe as often as once/month eventually. You can possibly save them all without heroic efforts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store