Cory catfish turned white, confusing about water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Canail Siren

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017
Could you newbies start your own thread? I'd like to help but I'm confused...Canail Siren, what water tests? What results? 2 months is not unexpected to have some issues but maybe 2 x water changes or more per week might be needed.... Tell us more...everything you can!
Thanks. I don't know how to start a new thread yet so I could only post on a similar one. The water is pH 7, ammonia levels are 0.25, nitrate and nitrite levels are 0. I do 50% water change every week. I tried to stop feeding for two days but that did not work. I brought the air bubble closer so that he can have more oxygen too it does not work.
The cory became more transparent and stopped moving.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If your water co. uses chloramine to treat your tap water you can still test positive for ammonia if you use Prime. IF your tank is cycled the beneficial bacteria should be able to process it while the Prime keeps it in a "safe" form for 24-48 hours. Odd you don't see any nitrate at all.

How long have you had the corys? They might have come to you in less than great health or been weakened by ammonia &/or nitrite during cycling.

Canail Siren

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017
I've had them for two months . I got them a few days before Christmas. Also I did not cycle my tank. I learned about if after I bought my first fishes. And I use prime.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, if the corys were in there while cycling that could be the problem & nothing much you can do, I'm sorry. Ammonia can "burn" the gills for 1 thing & nitrite can cause "brown blood disease". Some fish are better able to deal with cycling like danios (not that it might not harm them) but corys are more sensitive.

But if your tank is cycled now (maybe not?) I think you should continue to test. You're on to a good habit of weekly water changes. You may want to test midway between them to make sure there is no nitrIte & that ammonia does go away. You may need to do extra WCs if they show up. You should see some nitrate unless you have a lot of live plants. You want them between, say 5 & 20ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store