Cory fin damage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
I bought some Skunk corydoras a few weeks ago. I just noticed one has had the bottom fin ripped off. Either that or its some bad finrot.. His underside is all red and puffy. Is there anything I can do?

Hes in the tank with the other skunks, 2 Bristlenoses, and some guppies.

The substrate is pool filter sand and I have some slate in there.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
It sound like either the substrate is too sharp for him or that your parameters are off. Have you checked your levels? When you do your maintenance on the tank, do you stir the sand at all?

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
I do a 50% water change a week , Its a 20g high with a ac30 filter.. I do let the python sort the sand a little bit.. Waters 78 degrees, 5 ppm nitrate and 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
yikes, that doesn't look good... it looks more like toxins than irritation though.... do you ever notice bubble rising from the sand? Are all the other fish ok?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I have to admit, I am stumped. It's possible it could be injuries but I am not comfortable with that because of where the redness is. I am hoping someone else can weigh in.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
it could be a bacterial infection that was starting to show before you got the cory. septicemia comes to mind.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
if your params are correct than i vote for bacterial as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store