Cory id - julii or trilineatus ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have a single cory in this tank (actually he/she has a good friend on a Brochis cat).
I have not been able to decide whether to call it C. julii or C. trilineatus. Part of the problem is that when I compare photos of my fish with those in Baensch's books, I reach the conclusion that there is a conflict within Baensch's treatment of these two species. Specifically, the comparison he makes of specifically these two taxa seem to not agree with the images they provide. Anybody has any ideas on either the comparison I am referring to, or the identity of my cory?
Cheers!

C. julii or trilineatus IMG_0648.JPG

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
NoodleCats NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Very interesting.
To be honest, when I set to try to id it, I came with 4 possibilities:
julii, trilineatus, leopardus and copei

I quickly eliminated copei because in that one, the lateral black stripe appears to be less well defined.
And I eliminated leopardus on the basis of the picture in Baensch (vol 2, p.167), which is unfortunately somewhat dark, and which appears to show a fish with a black patch on the forehead, which my cory does not have.
I do see that the images in Planet catfish do not have a black patch on the head.

Very cool! I would love to have more of them, but I don't see them around with any frequency.
Thanks!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Leopardus has much more of a long snout as the specimen above:

Dorsal fin is different too. Spots don't say much they also have completely dotted trilineatus.

How much did you pay for this fish? Leopardus is available in the trade, but at a price.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I bought 2 of them somewhere in the $ 3.99-5.99 range each (I think). Unfortunately I lost one a few months later. I bought them at Captain Nemo's in PA. I should have bought more.
I will try to get better pictures in different views.
Cheers!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I will verify this species over on planet catfish too.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
I will verify this species over on planet catfish too.
You are on there?
What's your user name?

It almost looks like a Brochis species. IMO.
But I doubt it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store