Cory stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooky1978

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2023
I have a 20 gallon high tank with 6 zebra danios...1 honey gourami and 3 emerald green corys (Had 6, but over time 3 died. 1 was a cpl weeks ago). Went to Petco and they didn't have any corys except 2 albinos... must be a cory shortage... Anywho.. I wondered if I should get 3 more emerald green corys if I do find them or just wait until they eventually die and then hopefully find smaller corys?? I had smaller ones before...the standard cory I guess you'd call em.. they were smaller. I didn't realize the emerald green ones get up to like 3 inches or whatever. Never had any problems with them and they have been great in the tank. Didn't want to mix them with another school of corys and possibly overstock the tank. I'll hafta wait anyway since I can't find any nearby.. Even Petsmart doesn't have any. Just wanting to know what I should do? I thought about getting some from The Wet Spot where I got my honey gourami, if they have any, but like I said, don't wanna overstock the tank or anything. thanks in advance for the help.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't consider you over stocked if you added a half dozen of newer smaller cory, provided you have a regular maintenance/WC routine.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Emerald corys are usually Brochis (cory bigger relatives but similar.) How long have you had them? If they're dying out from probable old age I would wait & get either "normal size" corys or even more "dwarf corys".

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Welcome to the site and then a bit of slightly bad news.

Zebra danios are pretty active fish and really should be in a longer tank than a 20 gal. which is a 24 inch long tank. 36 is a more realistic minimum for them. The bigger footprint would also mean there is room for more corys. A great place for getting good info on a lot of fish species is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/ However, the fastest way to get to any given species page is via Google. Type in the name and the word seriously and you will get the link. But common names may not work in which case you need to find the latin name. Try Googling zebra danio seriously :)

Next, I would strongly urge you to buy from Wet Spot over any chain petstore. They ship a lot of fish and are part of a larger operation. They also wholesale to other sellers from a separate division. Wet spot store opened in 1999. I seem to recal meeting somebody in owneship or senior management at an NEC weekend event in CT in 2002 or 03. Also, I used to work with somebody who bough from their wholesale operation. I have gotten some fish that originated there and can tell you anything from there was usually quality and healthy. I am in NY.

If you are buying fish shipped it helps to spend as much as possible. Shipping is not cheap and soreading it over more fish lowers your average cost/fish. The phrase we use here is, "fill the box." If from the store, never mind.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Mooky, if your local shop can order fish for you that is by far your best bet. Ask nicely!

I've been to Wet Spot in Portland & they are great! But it's $30-40 for shipping. Not maybe a 20g tank's worth for a few fairly "ordinary" fish. Nothing wrong with "ordinary", I love my old "usual" fish & my rarer 1s too.

Can you tell us in a vague way where you live (nearby city, state or province)? On AC we are all over the place. I'd say mostly in the US but we're everywhere!! We can often help you with finding a club or shop if you give us a hint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store