Cory with fin fungus question about meds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hello well one of my corys in my 5 gallon tank has fish fungus on it's left fin only nothing on the body am thinking he might have scratched his fin he's eating and swimming around. I have 2 cories in the tank and since I know fungus is contagious I picked up some Tetra fungus guard tabs and will treat the tank tonight with 1/2 tab and see how it goes wait the 4 days and see if I will need to retreat again after doing a 25% WC my filter sponge does not have carbon in it. The package says that décor can be stained by the tabs. Although this can happen I am thinking to leave the décor in the tank while treating it thinking can fungus live on these types of decorations & if so leaving them in the meds will help kill off whatever fungus might be on them am not sure about this any advise would be so appreciated

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If it's a bacterial thing, it could live anywhere in the water column. Viral, it's basically going to go fish to fish. I don't use meds. I monitor water parameters with my liquid test kit, keep doing water changes, feed very lightly and monitor the effected fish.

If I were to medicate, it would be for just the effected fish and it would be in a hospital tank with nothing but water and a seeded filter. Maybe a heater if needed.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Describe the fungus. If it is white cottony strands it is Saprolegnia, but that is not contagious nor is it the cause, but a symptom of a weakened immune system and/or poor water quality.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
If it's a bacterial thing, it could live anywhere in the water column. Viral, it's basically going to go fish to fish. I don't use meds. I monitor water parameters with my liquid test kit, keep doing water changes, feed very lightly and monitor the effected fish.

If I were to medicate, it would be for just the effected fish and it would be in a hospital tank with nothing but water and a seeded filter. Maybe a heater if needed.
Unfortunately I can't use my QT to medicate these cories because my QT is being used right now for fish that have no disease and are being quarantined so they can be added to my 36 gallon so I have no choice but to medicate them in the 5 gallon for which I have read that for fungus you should do it's contagious and my other cory could get it if left untreated. I have done a lot of reading so I know that I have to feed lightly and do another wc in 4 days and see if there is any improvement if not medicate again. Doing nothing but water changes is not going to kill the fungus. It's a white cottony and fluffy spot on the left fin not on the body. Fungus guard treats the fungus and other secondary infections that can occur. I decided to leave the décor in the tank during treatment.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Describe the fungus. If it is white cottony strands it is Saprolegnia, but that is not contagious nor is it the cause, but a symptom of a weakened immune system and/or poor water quality.
It looks white and cottony but on his fin only I doubt it's from poor water quality because I do water changes pretty frequently and gravel vac.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Update I medicated the 5 gallon tank with Fungus guard on Thurs afternoon & checked on the cory last night it worked like a charm the med has malachite green in it & I don’t see the white cottony area on the left fin anymore the cory is happy swimming around & eating the med stays in the tank after the 1/2 tab dissolves for 4 days then a water change is necessary of 25%. I will check the cory again & see if another dose is necessary after the 4 days are up but am happy to see that this med looks to have worked & I caught it early. I agree that this fungus probably was saprolegnia because if it were columnaris it would have been really nasty. Thanks to all for your advice & help so far a great outcome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store