Corys and Apistogramma?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
I'm setting up my tank Rio 125L (80x36x50cm), which will host:

- Neon/Cardinal Tetra
- A pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides/Agassizii/Macmasteri
- Otocinclus

I would like to insert a group of Corydoras, but I have read and I have been warned that Apisto can be very aggressive towards Cory during reprodution, since they both stay in the lower part of the tank.

What is your opinion? Could I insert the Cory withouth too much concerns?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I likely wouldn't. That's a small footprint and the cichlids are likely going to claim the whole space, particularly when they have fry.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree, cichlids are territorial especially when breeding; corys don't get it. I think otos may be in trouble too but not as much as the corys.

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
I read around that actually Corys are the problem for Apisto fry and eggs, but they are unlikely to be damaged by Apisto attacks due to their hard skin

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too would not, Corys and Apistos both need the bottom space of the tank.

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
I know is a little OT but, in case I decide they can't go together, and I wanna keep the corys, what fish could I insert as MAIN specie with Tetras, Otocinclus and Corys?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A centerpiece fish?

Hard to say. There aren't many that really prefer being alone. A pair of gouramies might work.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I know is a little OT but, in case I decide they can't go together, and I wanna keep the corys, what fish could I insert as MAIN specie with Tetras, Otocinclus and Corys?
I've been able to keep Bolivian rams with corys without problem. Currently, I've got a pair of Laetacara curviceps in a 29 gallon tank with some corydoras, and there have been no problems.

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
A pair of gouramies might work.
Can't gouramies attack neon tetra? I had dwarf gourami and neon in the aquarium of my father when I was a kid, and it happened that he ate one neon tetra...

Are Laetacara curviceps less agressive then Apistogramma? Do they spawn in the same way?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Curviceps are bigger than apistos but a bit less aggressive. Most cichlids are similar in breeding behavior.

Tiny neons are bite size for many fish. Dwarf gouramis are, for their size, often aggressive ( & often lees healthy). Honey gouramis, less so & they're smaller. Both are mid to upper tank level fish than cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store