cotton wool disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Thank you all for the great information! We went ahead and treated the tank with ethromycin (API). We did not have the info. on sterilizing plants, sbstrate etc. when we started the process. Sad to say, the second to last fish in the tank is now feeling poorly. He didn't eat tonight. I kinda think this is it. We'll just have to find another home for the last fish (after a q.t. of course) then I think we should just chuck everything but the tank itself. Will bleach do the trick with that? How long should we q.t. the last fish? Sad.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Boiling or bleach should work on almost everything. If it's cheap, like air tubing, chuck it. I would leave the stuff outside in a sunny spot for a week or two. Nothing like some sunshine and fresh air to disinfect things.

Do you have a place to quarantine your last fish while you disinfect the tank. If he survives 4 weeks without symptoms, he should be OK to go back in the big tank and get some new friends.

Columnaris is a ***** of a disease.

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Just a little up-date on this story. The second to last fish recovered. Yay! The tank is still home to one serpae and on green barb. What would the popular opinion be on introducing more fish so they can school again?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Wonderful that your fish recovered. I'm not good at stocking suggestions, I can't make up my mind on my own tank, lol. Someone will be along to help with that, I'm sure. You might give it a little time, though, just to be sure the tank is healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store