Could I stop quarantining my corys early?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Would it be to big of a risk to stop quarantining the corys early?

• YES, I think it would be too big of a risk.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • NO, I don't think it would be too big of a risk.

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I have been quarantining 6 new pygmy corys for 12 days. They have not shown a single sign of disease. None have died. In other words they seem to be perfectly healthy. I was planning on quarantining for period of 2 weeks which would end on this coming Thursday. Since they are so healthy, I am wondering if there would be a big risk if I were to stop quarantining them today instead of thursday.

The only reason why I am thinking of ending the quarantine time today is they are and have been so healthy.

So do you think it would be to big of a risk?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Not a big risk... But what is 2 more days if you've gone 12? I personally haven't qt'd before, but I'd be so upset if something happened because I cut a corner.

I'm not putting you down or anything... Please don't take it the wrong way. Perhaps someone with experience with illnesses & qt can give better insight.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I forgot to mention I have an order of shrimp and snails coming most likely tomorrow or Thursday so that is one of the reasons I want to stop quarantining them now so I don't have to worry about acclimating them and stuff whenever the shrimp and snails arrive.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Actually, I think you're gonna want to have the inverts in the tank before the fish.
The fish are going in a different tank, I just don't want to have four (the shrimp and snails are going to be split up into multiple tanks) acclimations going on in one day. So I would rather get the corys settled in the tank tonight.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I quarantine for 4 weeks minimum. I've shortened it a couple days in a "new fish emergency" but not by much. Inverts, from what I've read, don't carry ALL the same risks, maybe different...up to you...

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I agree, Cories are generally pretty clean, and 12 days should be enough to tell if there are going to be any serious issues with any of them, especially if you followed good procedure and didn't transfer any of the tank water from the fish store into your QT tank. I generally go two weeks as well, but every now and then I find it necessary to cut it short a bit. I'll be cutting a day off some albino P. pulchers this weekend actually so that I can get some new fish into QT.

For me, the big determination though is where they're going into. If it's a tank with some pretty resistant and hardy fish, and no inverts, I don't worry so much, versus a tank with something more sensitive, or complicated to treat then I'll QT for longer.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Since they are so healthy and I have that shipment of shrimp and snails coming, I decided to stop quarantining them. They are now in my ten gallon Betta and neon tetra tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store