Could this work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Louise.... hard to guess right?
Hitting brick walls with my fish list but how does this sound?

In Tank
1x black occy
1x orange occy
1x Yellow Tang
1x lawnmower blenny

Would a strawberry dottyback work? Wanting a pink or purple fish and the strawberries are cheaper to buy than an orchid. Could this work? I dont want to risk it if I'll just end up uprooting my tank to get it out...

480L tank with LPS and 50kg LR (heaps on hidey holes)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, that should work. I'd probably stick with just one type of clown, but that's my preference.

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Louise.... hard to guess right?
I was originally getting a 2nd black occy but was given the orange and they get along just fine... but my preference is for the same too

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Ocellaris are the same regardless of color so no worries there. Lots of orange and black pairs out there.

With those fish the dottyback will be fine but it might make it difficult to add other samller, peaceful fish down the road. Pound for pound the dottys/pseudos are some of the most aggressive fish out there. They are also well known for taking out ornamental shrimp.

If you want something purple go with a royal gramma or blackcap basslet. Similar behavior as the dotty but a little bigger and not nearly as aggressive.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Black Caps are much shyer on the whole than Dottys. An Orchid Dottyback will give you the purple and while it is a Dotty they're alot less agrressive than Strawberries. More expensive of course.......

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes agreed they can be be a bit shy but they get comfortable soon enough. The live in deeper water along rock walls and dart in and out to grab food. They actually find them directly below large groups of royal grammas which live on the wall above. Since they are deeper water fish (~60') they take a little longer to get used to our lighting in captivity. The deeper depth at which they are collected is also why they are more expensive than the grammas.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
How big is the tank going to be? Tangs need larger tanks then occy's do, much larger. Like, 100 gallon tank (so, cramming it a little and adding some filtration, 75gal) Occy's just beed 30gal or so.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
oops... missed that. Now, off the handy dandy liters to gallon converter... that would be about 126 gallons of water. Plenty for everything on your list!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store