Crabs with rainbow shark?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Do you think some sort of crab will get along with a rainbow shark?

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I don't think there are any crab on the market that is fully submerged in water that doesn't need to leave the water or does not need brackish water. Plus any crab with fish is just asking for trouble, unsure about 5 1/2 inch long rainbow sharks cause my old shark grew that long.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I was planing on building the crabs a way to an elevated section and having the water a couple inches lower.

I had no idea all crabs we're brakish. I have allways seen them in freshwater tanks at stores.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
arakkis did sell thai micro crabs, full fresh, full aquatic, but idk if he still has em and a rainbow shark would probably eat them for lunch

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Ahhhh so true I forgot about the aquatic thai micro crabs. My mind set was stuck on what was relatively sold in normal petstores like the hermit crabs/red claw crabs/fiddler crabs...?

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
arakkis did sell thai micro crabs, full fresh, full aquatic, but idk if he still has em and a rainbow shark would probably eat them for lunch
Wow I just looked at pictures of them. They look so weird. They are fuzzy with clearish legs.

I allways see fiddlers and red claws as freshwater around here. Just asssumed petstores wouldn't mess that up. Maybe I will try a brakish tank, only done fresh water befrore so this is going to be a learning experience.

So I guess I have a new quesiton. What to put in with the crabs I plan to get in near future. Prob in a 30g.
Or maybe I will just let the crabs have their own tank. I have a 10g in the basment somewhere.

Last edited:

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
The micros would get killed by a rainbow. Maybe need something beefier like a mini crab size(red claw)

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You could always look into the larger aquatic crabs (Rusty, Panther, etc), though I don't really know much about them or how well they mix with fish.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
even though they are brackish, they still do fine in FW. Just don't breed.
Panther crab might be too big for a rainbow shark but may eat the shark. I can get them but usually don't mess with them because of the size and nature even though they are specialized snail eaters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store