Craigslist - Scumbag Scammer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
This is so stupid. Anyone want to see how someone is using PAYPAL now to commit another type of scam? Not only that, but this would ultimately involve the Post Office, since that's how I ship things.. and across state lines. I imagine that would make this one a Federal offense, not just internet fraud or another Craigslist scam.

:headshake2:

(If anyone wants to know, btw... I did sell that wheelchair for cash to a local buyer.)

Now... I posted a ad on Craigslist a few days ago to sell a rose collectible figurine made a long time ago by Lenox Porcelain. Here's my delightful contact with someone trying to use Paypal and the US Postal Service to fool me into shipping it somewhere without actually getting any money for it. Here goes...

Thursday, Feb 5

From "Mashal Reed"
Subject: Red Rose for Valentine's - Vintage Lenox Fine Porcelain

Hello Seller,
Is your item available for sale...write me back

<< Note generic greeting and non-specific reference to "your item." Still a lot of legitimate buyers send inquiries like that too. >>

My reply
Yes, it's still available.

From "Mashal Reed"
Thanks for your swift response..i just want to tell you that am buying
this flower for my fiance as a valentine gift.i will be paying with my
pay pal account just get back to me with the final price and the
shipping from your place to Arkansans including your paypal payment
request..write me back asap..

<< Here's why Craigslist warns people to only deal locally. But wait, he said Paypal. That's not a fake money order scam thing. This is something different. >>

My reply
Sorry.. this item is for local sale only. I'm not willing to ship the item
because it could be damaged or lost in transit. I'd rather deal directly
with a local person.

From "Mashal Reed"
okay but am still very much interested if you are willing to sell...okay

<< I know, I know.. I should have left alone right there. But I was curious about what this guy is up to. In this case, he's using Paypal.. and we use that all the time. So I wanted to find out how someone I thought was suspicious might defraud a seller using Paypal. >>

My reply (some 8 hours later)
Hello again,

I checked into shipping the Lenox rose figurine using USPS Priority Mail
using a flat-rate box (and estimated the actual cost using an East Coast zip
code). To ship the item would be $18.30 total. (That breaks down to $13.95
for Priority Mail, $2.15 to insure the package (for $100), and $2.20 for a tracking
number with signature confirmation.) You'll have to actually sign for
receipt of the package.

Your Paypal payment would have to come directly from a verified account
linked to your bank (not a credit card payment). And I'll only ship this to the
confirmed address provided by Paypal.

Once I mail this out, the Postal Service is responsible for it getting
there... so no refund will be possible. But the package will be insured for
$100 if anything goes wrong with your delivery.

If you're still interested in this, here's the full price.

$45.00 Lenox porcelain rose figurine
$18.30 USPS Priority Mail - insured, with signature confirmation
----------
$63.30 Total

Send Paypal payment to me using this address: <<removed>>

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

<< There.. that ought to foil his dubious plan. He can't do a charge-back on his credit card... can't pretend it was never received if someone has to sign for the package. I clearly stated no refund.. so nothing guaranteed on my part. Thought that would be the end of it and he'd drop this one. But no, there's more... >>

Friday, Feb 6

Fake Paypal Email Notice

<< Well, that's looks okay if you just take a quick glance. But it's not. I noticed right away that his name changed. This so-called notice tells me to ship this to someone named "Keith Henley" at an Arkansas address. That's weird. And it appears to come from "service(at)paypal.com" ... but these payment notices use the buyer's email address... not a paypal address. I scrolled down to see if he was verified.. confirmed address.. if it was a credit card transfer.. etc. And look what this thing said at the bottom. >>

This PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail << removed >> and our customer cares service will attend to you. As soon as you send the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited into your account.

**PLEASE NOTE**
Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal informing you that the Money has been credited.
<< Hahahah.. no way, buddy. Paypal doesn't work that way. They've got nothing to do with the actual buying/selling.. couldn't care less about following tracking numbers for packages. All they do is transfer the money... "instantly." >>

From "Mashal Reed"
I just wanna inform you that payment has been successfully transferred
from my account now will want you to package the item and ship to this
address..ship as per pay pal confirmation

Keith Henley
<< address removed >>

waiting to read from you...

Another Fake Paypal Email Notice

<< Good to see that my ISP flagged the spoof email as spam. Here's the full text if anyone wants to read the whole message. >>

Dear Susan,

This a confirmation email of a payment received from Mashal Reeds for the purchase of Craigslist auction Item, what we required from you is the shipment reference number, this number will be given to you at the post office after you have sent the item to the bearer and the funds will be credited into your account, this is part of our new policy and a security measure in other to protect both the buyer and the seller, also to verify if the item was really bought from you we have sent you a confirmation email earlier on to inform you that the payment is legal and has been confirmed, also to guide you against fraudulent acts.

We have included the buyer's full name and amount paid for you to know this message was really sent from PayPal. We advise that you make sure the item is sent out as soon as possible and request for a tracking number at the post office after you might have send out the item, then you can email us the number by replying directly to this message after it might have been given to you at the post office so as to credit your account without delay.

After we receive the number from you for security verification, your account will be credited at once, Our system has witness new upgrades, Please don't be surprised if you see us forwarding you to new customer attendants, its due to the amount of fraud going on involving our name which we are trying all our best to limit and put a stop to. As soon as we receive the requested information from you, your account will be credited.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal Email ID PP305

And that's it. I guess now, I'm supposed to report this. Craigslist won't care, but Paypal should know about it. But I don't know. It's a lot of bother. Still annoys me though.

If nothing else, here's another example as a warning for us to be careful.. whether as buyer or seller. There are so many crooks out there looking to steal our money or other items of value.

Be careful, everyone.

rebelsquirrel

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2009

Kashta,
Thanks for posting your scam letter. I got one just like it today; and after seeing yours, knew beyond a doubt that it was a scam-so I replied accordingly.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I've been selling a lot of stuff (very s-l-o-w-l-y) on Craigslist. Still get weird things like that all the time. I don't even reply anymore. That's just a waste of time, plus it gives them an email address to spam.

Got this from "alex m" .. the jerk doesn't even know what item I'm selling. It's so lame.

Weird approach to take too. This is the first email I got from his address.. so there was no previous message or any reply from me.

Hello i really appreciate your response to my earlier mail.like i said
i will like to buy this item so pls do withdraw the advert from
Craigslist. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via
check due to the distance as i am located in Florida.I will need you
to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing
of the check.

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address be it residential or postal address
3.Your phone number.

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for
shipping will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the
check**

Have a nice day

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
wow, i wouldnt have caught that. i think ill just sell locally ;)
Not at first maybe, but then it would have dawned on you:
Wait a minute. This guy is in Florida and I'm selling a cheap digital camera in Las Vegas. Doesn't the state of FLORIDA have a Craigslist too???

If he wants to buy a cheap camera (that takes crappy aquarium photos which is why I'm selling it, btw)... don't you think someone else in Florida would be selling one too? That's clear across the country.​

Stupid. :headshake2:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
HAHAHAHA! And it just keeps on going. . . . . . .

I think working for the money would be faster and easier. Silly me to think that.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Forgive me for being so slow--but what does the theif get with the PayPal scam? The figurine? :confused: Seems like a lot of trouble for that.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Forgive me for being so slow--but what does the theif get with the PayPal scam? The figurine? :confused: Seems like a lot of trouble for that.
I'm real slow too, Bubbles. I can't figure that out either. It's a vintage piece around 20 years old now. I know it's rare and mine is in mint condition. But still... no one on Craigslist is going know that or even care. A local scam I could see. Grab something fast that's way underpriced and take it to the nearest pawn shop. Maybe it's worth a lot more than I thought? That just doesn't seem right though. An email scammer or someone passing off fake checks and money orders is such a common, low-level criminal the police see them as a nuisance. And they see most victims of these crimes as so naive and gullible to fall for these things they deserve to be taken advantage of. Even when scammers get caught, nothing much is done about it. I still have no idea what that guy was up to.

HAHAHAHA! And it just keeps on going. . . . . . .

I think working for the money would be faster and easier. Silly me to think that.
Yeah... it's hysterical. But please be careful about the people you come in contact with through Craigslist. They're not all just dim-witted scammers looking for easy money from unsuspecting victims. You never know who or what that other person is like.

This is another strange series of emails I got a couple of months ago. This wasn't a scammer, I don't think... probably much worse - some creepy guy stuck in a Vegas hotel room by himself, wanting a little company in the middle of the night. Or.. some deranged local looking for who-knows-what kind of mischief to get into.

Vegas is such a flakey place to live.

About a week before this, I'd posted a listing in the Pet section saying I had some aquatic moss for sale. (Figured I'd see if anyone got curious enough to reply to that.)

From that listing, I got this message from someone named "mpark."

Visiting and wondering where ur located. Near the strip?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
My reply

Hello.

I'm not near the Strip.. I just live here. Got into aquatic plants and
mosses as a hobby, so I also sell them to others - online mostly. I just
threw that Craigslist ad there to see if there was any local interest.

I ship out most plants using Priority Mail. That works great and the
package gets there in 2-3 days. So it doesn't matter if you live here or
are just visiting.

Is there something in particular you were interested in for your fish
tank(s)?

Susan
<< I know.. That was stupid of me to just reply without giving this more thought. But hey, it was 3 o'clock in the morning. I was half asleep; wasn't paying any attention. >>

Reply from "mpark."

So where u at?
Followed by another message a few minutes later:

I can't come in person and get it?
:eek3:

<< At 3 o'clock in the morning!?! Are you completely insane??? I had to think about my next reply. Someone like this could be dangerous. So I wrote a reply, hoping to get rid of him right away... which it did. Thank goodness. >>

My reply:

No, sorry. This is a private home, not a business. You haven't even
mentioned which moss you're interested in. If you'd like to purchase moss,
let me know and we can meet in a public setting. I've sold out most of what
was list in the ad, but I still have some of them left. Cash payment
required for local purchase.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Wow! Creepy and dangerous! I wouldn't have said a private home but would have used the police station address - lol

Been living in a small town for so long it seems I have forgotten about the creeps out there.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Still selling that digital camera on Craigslist, though I haven't bothered to re-list it again for a long while now. Got a message about it today.

Hey there im on vacation in Vegas and lost my camera.. dont have much cash left r u willing to trade heres some things i bought for souvenirs

2 Purses from VENETIAN gift shop
one red with syrosky crystals

one LEOPARD fur coated

BOTH over $200 Each with tags

DG sunglasses for WOMEN at $150
How much you wanna bet this guy can't spell the phrase, "stolen merchandise" either?

LMAO :rofl:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store