Crappie jumpin out of tank remedies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
So Im sittin in the living room watchin tv when I hear a weird noise commin from the computer room where the fish tank is. I go to see what it was and at first I dont see anything wrong. Then I see it flop from under the chair. My crappie had jumped out of the tank. Ive never heard of this happening with crappie before and its never done it. It is wild caught but Ive had it in the tank for somewhere in the 3 month time frame. Not sure how long he was out and not sure if he'll make it. Assuming that he does pull through what would be feasible for a cover for the tank. Im not sure where the glass covers to the tank are anymore. So I was thinking of maybe a window screen or something along those lines. Its a 55 gal tank. I need some ideas.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
You can buy versa tops that will fit perfectly, or you can make some sort of screen or get a screen top that they market for reptiles, anything will work.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
the glass tops I used to have and prolly still have laying around somewhere since I never threw them away were versa top. I didnt like the glass top bc of the accumulation of algae. My mode of thinking for the time being is the screen top as a temporary and when I have the money to build a canopy.

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
You could build a fram that fits inside the rim of the tank out of wooden dowels and then use screen to cover the frame. Or give in and use the glass tops I guess.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
I like the idea of it fitting inside of the frame top. I just wish I knew if I still needed to weigh it down. Fitting it inside the rim would make it not as noticeable but if I have to put something on top of that I feel like it would defeat the purpose of the sleakness. More thought will have to go into this matter i guess.

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
Hmm you could use something decorative to weigh it down like a potted plant or something in some/all the corners. Or if you measure just right you can get the frame to fit tightly so you have to push it into place and it won't come out very easily. The tank I have that kind of top on is like that and is not very loose. Also if you have lights that rest on the top they also help hold it down.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Cut a piece of plastic light grid exactly to size and sit the light on top.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Regardless of what you do, it might be a good idea to put the glass tops back on until you get a permanent fix. You were lucky to be around when he jumped ship...err tank but if it happens again and you are sleeping, chances are it won't make it, solving your issue in a rather unfortunate way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store