Crazy Betta Darting Around

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I'm going to change the water in the 2 vases tomorrow and maybe go to Petco and get a ten gallon tank and filter. I already have a heater, plants and gravel. Going to take the gravel from my 5 gallon to the ten gallon and put the plants in the tank to.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
IMO i would find something around the house that is larger than the 1 gallon vases and use that instead of spending the money on a tank when you should be getting a test kit.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
IMO i would find something around the house that is larger than the 1 gallon vases and use that instead of spending the money on a tank when you should be getting a test kit.
+1. Good advice.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you don't have rubbermaid bins or clean buckets?

sometimes we have to think outside the box when it comes to our finkids ;)

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
No i don't. Why bash me for having a betta in a vase? I been keeping these guys for 13 years and I had one live for 5 years in a vase with the weekly water changes. I have rubbermaid bins but their smaller then a gallon. I have a betta in a 1.5 gallon pet carrier and he seems to like it, but I don't have much room in my small room. :[

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
Because vases/bowls are horrible places to keep fish. Just because something "lived" in a tiny container for 5 years, doesn't mean it was a good life. That would be like keeping you in your "tiny" room for your entire life and never letting you leave to go to the bathroom or anything. Just because you see people keeping fish in tiny containers, doesn't mean it is right. If you don't have the space, or money, to keep fish, DON'T do it.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I have a much larger tank, but I can't put my bettas in it since I have much larger fish that'll kill them. The vases are only temporary, how manys time to I have to say it. I take good care of my fish, treating my other tank for fungus right now.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Years ago it was completely acceptable to keep goldfish in goldfish bowls, tiny turtles in turtle bowls. Today, we know much better and many countries have banned these practices because we NOW know it is cruel and considered animal abuse. 15 years ago not as much was known about keeping bettas in vases, tiny bowls..etc. Yes, it is still an unfortunate practice today but we also now know better. Once we take an animal/fish/reptile into our homes, it's our duty to provide them with the proper environment. You would never keep a kitten in a broom closet then feed it daily, change it's litter every Sunday and consider that an appropriate environment.
The thought "They are fine, they live in mud puddles in the wild" is a huge falsehood. It's an argument often heard but absolutely not correct. They do live in rice paddies but those do not equate mud puddles. They are at least knee deep and spread over acres. Plus nature takes care of oxygenating and filtering that water. We can not replicate that in 1 gallon or smaller vases and bowls.
I don't think people are trying to attack you but educate you. You could go to any fish forum and will get the same advice and information and probably not as gently. We have to adapt our fish keeping methods to the new information that becomes available.
As for one of your bettas living for 5 years that's wonderful. If every betta you had kept over the last 15 years lived to that age then you would have a better argument with the practices you use now. I have a friend with a betta in a 5 gallon, heated and filtered tank. That fish is now age 8+ years and still going strong.
I'm sorry you do not like the advice you have been given, but as I said above, you will get the same advice where ever you go...EXCEPT your local fish store. They want to sell fish, bowls, etc. It's good for their bottom line. It seems an easy way to keep a fish and they sell A LOT of the things needed only for the fish to suffer and die and the bowls to end up in the trash, rummage, etc.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
Basicly they bashed me anyway and it makes me feel stupid and upset. I for one know a bowl isn't the best place for a betta, I am keeping them in there till I get a ten gallon tank. [ I have no idea how many times I mentioned that.] I have a 5 gallon fluval chi, which has a betta in it with a heater and filter. I am looking into getting a 10 gallon off my friend, so I don't have to let the new tank cycle a whole month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store